Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2010, 12:32 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Bootable Windows XP on a USB

Ok so here's my scenario.

- The burner in my computer seems to be broken (Won't read anything).
- I need to reinstall windows on my Raid 0.
- I want to avoid buying a new drive (I have a 'spare' in storage 6 hours away)
- I have an old ass laptop that works, but it has a dvd-rom (can't burn).

Is there a way to copy my windows disk onto a flashdrive and install windows from the flashdrive?
Old June 6, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

very easy with vista or 7 but for xp you have to do hacks to make it work at boot because xp does not have the ability to boot from usb. Just upgrade to vista or 7. jmo it can be done but a real pain
Old June 6, 2010, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

um am not sure if that is true because I know a few people that have multiple Operating systems on pen drives
here is probably the best site with good instructions on how to do this
Install XP from USB

the sites below I am not sure about

SolutionBase: Boot Windows XP from a USB flash drive
Install Windows XP on a Mini-Note (USB stick method)
Boot Windows XP from a USB flash drive - Software - Insight
Old June 6, 2010, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well unless they have change something or you can get it from a source modded already. and your right you know another one me i do all my installs from usb I Have not installed a dvd drive in my machines in about 2 years. hint it uses a boot loader to get around it good link

edit what i meant was that yes it can be done but the last time i did it was years ago and i had to hack the

crap outta of xp to get it to work hence why i said just upgrade because setting it up with vista or 7 takes

about 5 mins in fact it takes longer to copy over the ms files then it does to set up the usb drive. hell i hope there is and easier way now cause that way sucked. good luck

1 of many for vista or 7 How to Install Windows 7 From USB Drive without Windows 7 ISO DVD

and yet another way using unbooting Install Windows 7 From USB Drive [Requires 2 Simple Steps]

adn this is my fav simple and to the point Install Windows 7 From USB Drive/Pen Drive

think it's very similar to the first one.

Last edited by gingerbee; June 6, 2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old June 7, 2010, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well gingerbee summed it up pretty well. Takes way too much time and effort to get it working for it to be worthwhile.

Just a little tip in the future, booting from a usb rather than just installing is even more of a nightmare. I spent a good half of a day hacking xp apart and waiting for it to load lol

Old June 7, 2010, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Even though I didn't make any posts for help, thanks for the post Ginger. I was going to mail a friend a disk with Windows 7 on it, because he couldn't get his USB to work. That last article has another article link at the end with a program that makes a bootable USB of Windows 7 with a couple clicks (you provide the .ISO of course). Good for those who start shaking in fear when they see they gotta use a CMD prompt.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 7, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya the last one is great for the none cmd line folks out there i started this stuff years ago when your only choice was cmd line stuff i can remember getting xp install on a usb drive took me like a week the first time to get it to boot and when i finally did get it working, usb2 is too slow it made it total crap. so damn slow. personal i find the cmd stuff easier for vista/7