Old June 1, 2010, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wow I just fired up free commander and it shows a pagefile.sys is at 7.99gb
Old June 1, 2010, 03:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I'm running 8G worth of memory.... maybe the pagefile is what's so freaking big!!!!!

Edit: That's exactly what it freaking was!!!! Now down to a much more comfortable 16G with over 50% free space still open!!!

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; June 1, 2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old June 1, 2010, 04:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hehe ya I just moved my pagefile.sys to my other drive , funny thing is that I had thought that I did that already
Old June 1, 2010, 04:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Not even really sure if we need a pagefile these days, although I suppose folks who do video endcoding/decoding/ripping might be using it.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 1, 2010, 04:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Ready Boost

You can Use a USB stick fore somting called "ready Boost" fore paging. Leave it pluged in.
Old June 2, 2010, 04:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hrmmmmm.......

Now the intel optimizer software won't run because it thinks the drive is in raid mode..... Why does everything have to be so freaking difficult....

Not sure if I need it or not, AkG recommended running it once when first installed, but won't win7 pick up the trim anywise?

edit: Hrmmmmmm............. Looks like it's only the native M$ AHCI drivers which will pass though the trim command...... Does anybody know for sure if the native M$ AHCI drivers support E-Sata hot swap?

Last edited by sswilson; June 2, 2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old June 2, 2010, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

as far as I know windows 7 totally supports trim , I think to see if trim is running you go to cmd promompt and type in ( or copy paste this ) fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify press enter if it shows this DisableDeleteNotify = 1 then it isn't running
but if it shows this DisableDeleteNotify = 0 then it is running
I would think that the newer motherboard would support esata hotswap
Old June 2, 2010, 09:40 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
as far as I know windows 7 totally supports trim , I think to see if trim is running you go to cmd promompt and type in ( or copy paste this ) fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify press enter if it shows this DisableDeleteNotify = 1 then it isn't running
but if it shows this DisableDeleteNotify = 0 then it is running
I would think that the newer motherboard would support esata hotswap
Nope.

Its not that the OS is TRIM aware that is the issue. Its the fact that the drivers wont pass on the trim command to the SSD. As far as I know, the official AMD drivers do NOT support TRIM. This means you will have to run the MSAHCI drivers or risk getting into a degraded state. There are ways around this with Intel SSDs. Use the AMD drivers (which are faster) and use the Intel SSD Toolbox to setup a manual SSD optimizer to run once a week (or every couple days). That will send a manual TRIM command that bypasses the drivers so that even in IDE mode the SSD will stay nice and fast. For Indilinx users....use wiper.exe (or just rely on the kick ass ITGC built into them). For Toshiba and JM owners...rely on their ITGC. Its good and as long as you let it idle every once in awhile you will be golden.

NOW with all that being said.....think long and hard before you buy a SandForce based drive right now if you are using AMD. MS ACHI drivers are not completely t13 complaint so while they do send the trim command....they overload the SF controller (they send it in a continuous stream, where they should only send 64 entries at a time IIRC) and you can, under extreme circumstances, end up with a degrade drive even running in AHCI mode. Only the Intel one works 100% "correctly" with SF drives as they are the only ones completely complaint with the new std.

Unfortunately, if you try and rely on the SF drives self-maintenance routines....you are going to be sad as they DO get into a degraded state and do make the Intel SSD's routines look aggressive in comparison. Words like "extremely mild" and "less then optimal" are almost being too forgiving. Trust me on this. Testing them and getting best results possible is very difficult and time consuming. AND it doesn't matter what brand you buy. Corsair F100, Vertex 2 (), Phoenix () or Inferno () they all do it the same "mild" and slow way.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 2, 2010, 10:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Nope.

Its not that the OS is TRIM aware that is the issue. Its the fact that the drivers wont pass on the trim command to the SSD. As far as I know, the official AMD drivers do NOT support TRIM. This means you will have to run the MSAHCI drivers or risk getting into a degraded state. There are ways around this with Intel SSDs. Use the AMD drivers (which are faster) and use the Intel SSD Toolbox to setup a manual SSD optimizer to run once a week (or every couple days). That will send a manual TRIM command that bypasses the drivers so that even in IDE mode the SSD will stay nice and fast. For Indilinx users....use wiper.exe (or just rely on the kick ass ITGC built into them). For Toshiba and JM owners...rely on their ITGC. Its good and as long as you let it idle every once in awhile you will be golden.

NOW with all that being said.....think long and hard before you buy a SandForce based drive right now if you are using AMD. MS ACHI drivers are not completely t13 complaint so while they do send the trim command....they overload the SF controller (they send it in a continuous stream, where they should only send 64 entries at a time IIRC) and you can, under extreme circumstances, end up with a degrade drive even running in AHCI mode. Only the Intel one works 100% "correctly" with SF drives as they are the only ones completely complaint with the new std.

Unfortunately, if you try and rely on the SF drives self-maintenance routines....you are going to be sad as they DO get into a degraded state and do make the Intel SSD's routines look aggressive in comparison. Words like "extremely mild" and "less then optimal" are almost being too forgiving. Trust me on this. Testing them and getting best results possible is very difficult and time consuming. AND it doesn't matter what brand you buy. Corsair F100, Vertex 2 (), Phoenix () or Inferno () they all do it the same "mild" and slow way.
now I am confused
so are you saying that the Intel SSDs on a AMD motherboard should need or have to have MSAHCI drivers or risk getting into a degraded state or are you saying that "All " SSDs on a AMD motherboard hould need or have to have MSAHCI drivers or risk getting into a degraded state?

I am asking this because I myself am using a Kingston 64gb.
Old June 2, 2010, 10:43 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sorry should have made myself more clear. Just peev'ed at SF right now :)~

AMD drivers == No Trim
Intel Drivers + AMD. wont work
MSAHCI driver + Intel or AMD system = TRIM
No TRIM == need to rely on ITGC. Or use a manual "trim" option. Intel has their toolbox, Indilinx has wiper.exe. The rest DONT have jack to fall back on besides ITGC. So IF you are running the AMD drivers (and there is a performance increase and some benefits) then you are going to have to let it idle from time to time. Otherwise it will get into a degraded state. There are pros and cons to both ways. For someone who is an advanced user and doesnt care if it cuts a few weeks off a 10+yr lifespan and doesnt mind a little extra care and feeding to keep it fast. Use the AMD drivers. For everyone else, like a first time SSD user....take the hit and run MSAHCI.
Trim isnt a magic wand....BUT it is fire and forget simple. Whereas you will have let the system idle from time to time if you run AMD drivers.

So tldr version:
AMD win 7 drivers Samnsung/JM/Toshobia drive == you have to let the system idle to let it self clean or risk it getting degraded
AMD win 7 drivers + SF == you are in for a world of pain
AMD win 7 Driver + Intel or Indi == fast BUT need to setup a manual trim option or risk it getting degraded

MSHACI win7 Drivers (everyone but SF) == good and fairly fast. No fuss no muss
MSACHI win7 Drives + SF == ONLY way to go.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; June 2, 2010 at 11:17 AM.