Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2010, 06:43 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Does Vertex support trim in RAID 0

I'm sure this has come up before, but I just can't remember off the top of my head;

If I put two Vertex 120GBs in RAID 0, with the newer 1.5 firmware, will it still automatically use TRIM? I think that RAID 0 on the Indilinx controllers doesn't support TRIM, but I can't remember and I'm not having much luck searching for an answer online. Does anyone know? If it doesn't what kind of programs can I manually run every once and a while to have the same effect.

Thanks
Old May 29, 2010, 06:56 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its not that the SSD supports TRIM or not...its that the raid controller doesnt pass the command on to the drive. For all intents and purposes right now "Raid" == NO Trim.
Fortunately the Indilinx drives (unlike Intel and SandForce) have very good ITGC so all you need do is let the array idle for awhile every so often and it will keep its self nice and clean. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 2, 2010, 10:10 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the reply AKG, I couldn't remember the in and outs of how TRIM and all that worked. Still have a lot of learning to do regarding the SSD technology.
or
Tibi gratias ago, sapientiae meum calculatori non sufficiens est.
(Might have butchered that though, should have probably dug out the old copy of Wheelock's lol)