Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27, 2010, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Disk Attached Storage

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experince with the SANS Digital Tower raid product. If so how is the reliabilty (ie drives getting dropped, Support with widows 7 64 bit)
Old May 27, 2010, 11:47 AM

My System Specs

Which one specifically? I have two TR8M-B's. Which are the 8 bay eSATA versions. The stock eSATA card isn't all that fast. It generally gets around 70-80MB/s on a spanning/concatenation array. I tried RAID0 once and performance was atrocious. I don't trust my data to RAID5 so I don't have performance figures for that. I will be buying a RocketRAID 2314 for them here soon. Will attempt RAID0 and just a JBOD array to see how it performs when it arrives.

The only time I've seen a drive drop was when the eSATA cable got disconnected.
Old May 27, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Which one specifically? I have two TR8M-B's. Which are the 8 bay eSATA versions. The stock eSATA card isn't all that fast. It generally gets around 70-80MB/s on a spanning/concatenation array. I tried RAID0 once and performance was atrocious. I don't trust my data to RAID5 so I don't have performance figures for that. I will be buying a RocketRAID 2314 for them here soon. Will attempt RAID0 and just a JBOD array to see how it performs when it arrives.

The only time I've seen a drive drop was when the eSATA cable got disconnected.
i would looking at the TR8M-B's. it's mostly to reduce the power usage of my current setup (Seperate WHS)
Old May 28, 2010, 04:33 PM

My System Specs

W/ 8 drives it pulls around 90W from the wall. The drives are suppose to park after like 10 minutes of idle time but it seems to work randomly. I have no idea if it is the PCIe controller of the mulitpliers inside the TR8M-B that tells the drives to park though.