Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26, 2010, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default SSD set to IDE boots allot faster the set to AHCI

I notice that if I reset my bios to IDE instead of ahci my system boots allot faster but will this mess up my drive?
Old May 26, 2010, 01:30 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You wont like to hear this but: Yes, no....maybe. It depends on the controller and firmware on it. IDE mode == NO TRIM. No TRIM means you are going to have to rely on the self maintenance routines (AKA ITGC) built into the drive...AND let it idle from time to time to let it clean it self up. Indilinx drives for example are good at this ( I ran 1.31 a non trim but aggressive ITGC firmware on my Agility EX for a loooong time). Same goes for Samsung (who actually do call the self maintenance routines Idle Time Garbage Collection". Intel....SUCK at it (but they are still fast in degraded mode). Kingston V+ are decent. Kingston V's are good (BUT they have OMFG aggressive set of self maintenance routines that EATS cell life). SandForce....SUCK at it (but once again are still VERY fast in degraded mode).

All I can tell ya is that somethings are worth a slower boot up and some are not. Only you can decide. One thing worth noting is that some peeps (including myself) prefer ITGC to TRIM as there is no performance penalty when you are USING the system as TRIM does take up some overhead...whereas ITGC only kicks in when the sys is idle. Soooo as long as you let it idle, and assuming your controller doesnt suck at ITGC....the answer is "maybe". ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; May 26, 2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 26, 2010, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had to do a quick search to get an idea of what ITGC was lol .so I am using windows 7 with this drive . my computer is on pretty much 24\7 I think that I will stay with the AHCI settings I mean I might as well.
I was looking at the ocz forums and man they seem to almost contradict all of things they are saying so I have decided to just take your advice. so what advice go you give for my set up I am planing on only having basic things on this drive like web browsers email , no games . all of my larger files and programs I am going to install on a separate drive .
on the ocz forum there is a post suggesting to disable page file,system restore and hibernate and to use some trim script , but I am thinking that since my computer is on pretty much all of the time would it be better to not use trim and to use ITGC and if so I do I use the ITGC instead of trim?
Old May 26, 2010, 07:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Since you are using Windows 7 and AHCI, it automatically passes the trim command to the drive when a file gets deleted. No trim script is required if you have a drive with trim capable firmware.
Old May 26, 2010, 08:36 PM

The "trim script" was a script that would automatically run the wiper.exe program (usually on bootup). Its for Indilinx drives only....and is only about 90% safe for 64bit OS's (almost 100% for 32bit OS). I ran non trim firmware for very specific reasons as I had SLC NAND (and thus cell life to burn) and was using it in an older laptop where 1 or 2 percent IS noticeable. But you have to understand that it will eat more cell lifespan then TRIM does...and does take some more care and feeding then TRIM. Unless you are trying to squeeze EVERY last drop of performance out of a given drive....use TRIM. AND at an even more basic level...IDE is not as fast as AHCI in many situations, so the dif in performance from no TRIM overhead may in fact be negated by IDE being slightly hobbled. It depends on how you use your system....thus the "maybe" answer. But I'd lean towards using AHCI and TRIM. It is plug and play easy as you dont need to worry about anything as the OS takes care of it all for you. That is what is "best" for most peeps.

Disabling sys restore and hibernate is for reducing the OS footprint and to give you more space. TBH as long as you leave 10 - 15GB free there is no need for any such extremes. I like to stick the pg file on to another (HDD) drive as that is not only saving space but ALSO save cell usage. The name of the game with SSDs is lowering the avg writes. Less avg writes across all the cells equals longer lifespan for the drive ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 27, 2010, 04:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

akg that's why they keep coming back knowledge is power.
Old May 27, 2010, 05:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

AKG, I don't mean to hijack this,

I am really interested in this:

Quote:
I like to stick the pg file on to another (HDD) drive as that is not only saving space but ALSO save cell usage.
I just received a WD 640GB Black to be used along with my SSD. I will transfert all browser cache to the HDD and would like to know how to "STICK THE PG FILE" to the 640GB drive.

Also, could it be a good thing to partition the 640GB, keep 200GB for PG/browser cache and keep the rest for whatever application?

Thanks for your knowledge/support!

To the OP: I use Win7 64 and AHCI with my Vertex 120GB and I find that the boot time is really fast. Of course, the motherboard's POST routine is not to be considered SSD business, but from the Windows loading screen and on it's really fast.
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old May 27, 2010, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

start/right click my computer/properties/advanced system settings/performance settings/advanced/virtual memory.change.

there you go it's real easy i leave browser cache in the ram or just use chrome very small foot print.jm2cents.
Old May 27, 2010, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

this is pretty much the way I want to have it set up just have the basic things on the SSD drive and everything else running on a separate drive just have to try and remekmber how to change my browser cache dirs to the HD instead of the SSd
Old May 27, 2010, 04:55 PM

+1 to that gingerbee, FF for example does love to slam its temp file on a damn near continuous basis! Sticking it in ram is definitely a good way to help lower cell usage. :)

Firefox - Use memory cache instead of disk cache
Description: If you use Firefox, there's a way to write cached files to RAM instead of the hard disk. This is not only faster, but will significantly reduce writes to the SSD while using the browser.
Instructions: Open Firefox -> Type about:config into the address bar -> Enter -> double-click browser.cache.disk.enable to set the value to False -> Right-Click anywhere -> New -> Integer -> Preference Name "disk.cache.memory.capacity" -> value memory size in KB. Enter 32768 for 32MB, 65536 for 64MB, 131072 for 128MB, etc. -> restart Firefox

I personally like to set this to like 2 or 4GB depending on how much ram the sys has....but then again I dont close FF all that often and like to have 70+ tabs open :)~