Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22, 2010, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default wow slow boot after ssd install

I am not sure whats going on it takes a very long time to boot after I installed this ssd drive, my old drive I was using with the same os could boot up windows 7x64 in about 25 seconds this ssd takes over a minute not sure what that is all about.
now this probably has nothing to do with the ssd but I can't see all of my Hard drives I looked in the disk management and it isn't in there either but when I do a scan for hard drives I can feel the hard drive being scanned and I do get a message saying it found the drive but I don't see it anywhere, even after a reboot I still can't see it .
Old May 23, 2010, 05:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that is what is taking so long at post looking for said hd is what i think anyways. did your hd choke?
Old May 23, 2010, 06:21 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Is it showing up in the BIOS?
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old May 23, 2010, 06:33 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Pull all your other drives from the system and reboot. Does boot time go down? IF it does add the one that is not being seen. IF boot time goes up....download the diagnostics from the mfg'er and see if its a dead/dying drive. Id also try different ports (might be bad port) and one of the SATA cables from one of the other drives (ie a "known good" cable). See if its something simple and not a bad drive. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 24, 2010, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thanks for all replys , I think the drive finally died thats ok I have a few others.
now as for my ssd if I unplug all of the other drives and just have the ssd plugged in it still is slow to boot up
Old May 24, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hmm it still seems to be booting from my WD drive even though I installed a seperate windows 7 on the ssd drive with all of the other drives unplugged
Old May 24, 2010, 12:06 PM

What model SSD do you have. Can you run a Crystal DiskMark (100mb, 5 pass all sizes) and post the results. Its odd for an SSD to ADD time to a boot up. Is it taking long for it to find the SSD on post or is windows itself slow? Could be a screwed up installation, or something loading on startup....or a bad / dieing SSD.

EDIT: lol....THAT explains the slow boot time . :)~
Go into your bios and tell it which drive it should boot from first...the SSD and not the HDD (usually called something along the lines of "boot order").

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 24, 2010, 01:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
What model SSD do you have. Can you run a Crystal DiskMark (100mb, 5 pass all sizes) and post the results. Its odd for an SSD to ADD time to a boot up. Is it taking long for it to find the SSD on post or is windows itself slow? Could be a screwed up installation, or something loading on startup....or a bad / dieing SSD.

EDIT: lol....THAT explains the slow boot time . :)~
Go into your bios and tell it which drive it should boot from first...the SSD and not the HDD (usually called something along the lines of "boot order").
that was the first thing I did ( change the boot order) but I did notice that when I booted up and it shows the AHCI screen that the first Hard drive on the list isn't my ssd. but in my Bios ( gigabyte motherboard) I have it set to boot from the SSD.
here is the Crystal DiskMark image

Edit I forgot to mention that this is a Kingston 64GB SSDnow v series drive
Old May 24, 2010, 02:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Is this a clean install of Windows 7? If not, perhaps the partitions aren't aligned, or just that it doesn't know it's an SSD so TRIM and what not isn't turned on.

As per the AHCI list, I believe that goes by port number. So if you put the SSD in the first port (probably 0 or 1) then it should show first.
Old May 24, 2010, 02:32 PM

SOMETHING aint right as those write speeds suck. Time to nuke the install and try again. With a sani erase in between. Download HDD Erase. run it from a usb stick with a dos loader. then reinstall.