Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 22, 2010, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Kingston 64GB SSDnow v series questions

I broke down and bought the Kingston 64GB SSDnow v series I am new to ssd drives so I am not sure what to expect right now since I don't have the mounting utilities I am going to try and figure out how to mount this then install my OS on in, but I do have a question about this and all ssd drives.
is there some type of setup I need to do? I have been reading other posts about speeds and people tweaking so I am wondering will I need to do any of this to get the most out of this drive?
Old May 22, 2010, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

One of the issues with Kingston is that their website has no info on SSD, or very not a lot...

if you visit OCZ's forums and look for SSD optimization you're golden

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old May 22, 2010, 12:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Disconnect your other drives, connect your SSD, install Windows 7, reconnect other drives. Use AHCI mode.

Tweak as suggested here: Windows 7 - Ultimate SSD Speed Tweaks
Old May 22, 2010, 12:49 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup. SugarJ got it right. Though the BIG one is AHCI mode. Without that windows cant pass the TRIM command on to the drive, thus it can potentially get slow (and at the very least use more cell life as it will have to rely on its self cleaning maintenance routines, colloquially refereed to as Idle Time Garbage Collection, to keep the drive from entering a degraded mode).
You have to disconect the other drives from your system as win 7 ALWAYS makes a 100mb partition on Drive 0....even if that is not the drive you are installing windows to! IF that drive dies or is removed....your OS is toast. ;)

The tweaks....are just that. They really arent needed (besides making sure defrag is off) but they do allow you to wring every bit of performance out of the drive.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 22, 2010, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How to I Turn on AHCI mode ?
Old May 22, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Go into your bios. Change it from IDE to AHCI, before you install your OS. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 22, 2010, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok did all that but now when ever I boot up it goes to a screen that says something about AHCI then it lists my DVD and the SSD drive is there a way to turn off that screen becasue that in itself is a delay when booting hehe