Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2010, 09:26 AM
Trial Member

Default raid 0 question

Can a RAID 0 be created using an existing drive that has data on it without losing any data?

I have an existing 1tb drive and have one that i just got.. ..

heres the situation.. i am getting a intel x25-m 160 and using that as my boot drive.. but i currently am running 2 250gb's in raid 0 and i want to take those out and use one of my existing 1 tb drives and use the new and raid it but i dont' want to lose the data on the other 1 tb drive and don't have enough room to backup the data on the tb drive.

any help?
Old May 19, 2010, 11:20 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanin View Post
Can a RAID 0 be created using an existing drive that has data on it without losing any data?

I have an existing 1tb drive and have one that i just got.. ..

heres the situation.. i am getting a intel x25-m 160 and using that as my boot drive.. but i currently am running 2 250gb's in raid 0 and i want to take those out and use one of my existing 1 tb drives and use the new and raid it but i dont' want to lose the data on the other 1 tb drive and don't have enough room to backup the data on the tb drive.

any help?
No, you can't do this. The drives are completely wiped out when you create the RAID array. You'll need to find a way to copy your data over then create the array. If you have unlimited upload/download connection, you could look at Amazon S3 (although it'll take a lot of time to copy your data over).

Else, find a way to sotre all your data on your two 250GB and your SSD (compress data if possible).

Good luck