Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Another "which SSD for me" thread

So from the title you can see what this is about. Now let me start off by saying that what I am looking for is most likely put into an Asus U30JC. Because of this I can keep the size down to the 60/80 size. Now unless the place I am going to be getting them at gives me a good price on a larger one in which case I would replace my Kingston V series Gen II 128GB with the new one and put it in the notebook.

So another thing is I am restricted to drives from only Intel, Patriot, Kingston and Corsair. Now I know that most people including AkG would recommend the Intel 80 or the 160 (and put it in the desktop) if I have the money.

So I am asking what peoples thoughts are on any drives from the other makers I listed. I know that Kingston V+ are decent and I think the new corsairs are nice, not sure about any Patriots though. Basically a decent second choice to the Intels or even one that tops the Intels.

All input greatly appreciated.

Old May 11, 2010, 07:01 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Patriot Torqx == OCZ Vertex == GSkill Falcon==Corsair X. No dif between em. Same controller, same nand (or at the very least same quality of nand). Get the cheapest...UNLESS warranty is important. In which case Patriot offers 10yr warranty,

Corsair Nova == G Skill falcon 2 -== OCZ Agility (though nova doesn't get firmware updates and the f2 will). This assume the agility comes with 1.4 or 1.5. Earlier ones used older NAND and original Barefoot controller.

Stay away from the Patriot Torx M28. It is basically the same as the Corsair P series and the OCZ Summit. Old drive with a "meh" controller.

IF it comes down to a V+ 64gb or a Indilinx 60/64gb SSD. Id be inclined to get the V+.

First choice is of course the 80gb Intel :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 11, 2010, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
First choice is of course the 80gb Intel :)~
I figured that. :-)

Here is another question. Since I will be asking them what kind of price they will give me for these as well, Intel 160GB or the Corsair F100? I believe that they are fairly close in price, then again there is a big difference in size. Basically if you are just considering performance would you get that Corsair or still go with the Intel?

Old May 12, 2010, 04:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

for me now there's only a few i consider . intel 80gb, vertex 2, vertex le, and the agility 2. there all kinda pricey but good.
Old May 12, 2010, 07:33 AM

Id probably go for the 160 Intel. Dont get me wrong the F100 is a beast but the f100 has a big question mark when it comes to firmware updates (SF is hobbling all sf1200s except the Vertex 2 on purpose with later firmware revs) and is using a "first try" firmware revision; whereas the intel has a mature firmware. That combined with 60GB more room makes the Intel VERY seductive.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 12, 2010, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wouldn't a Kingston SSD be any good compared to all the others . why I am asking is becauseI figure that since Kingston makes memory and the SSD allot like Memory then it should be made pretty good? or am I way off here.
Old May 12, 2010, 09:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry to ask, but I personally tend to consider the XP / Adobe CS3 load time a lot when compairing the different SSDs. What makes the Intel 80gb (I assume its the X-25) so good compared to the other drives ?

Also, I can wait, but I am getting more and more tempted to get an SSD, should I keep on waiting a few more months ?
Old May 12, 2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Wouldn't a Kingston SSD be any good compared to all the others . why I am asking is becauseI figure that since Kingston makes memory and the SSD allot like Memory then it should be made pretty good? or am I way off here.
There is only a couple companies making NAND and controller rights now. Kinston is not one of them. BUT that doesnt mean the Kingstons are not good. In fact I like the V+ a lot. While the the SSDNow V gen 2 line is a JMicron based SSD (JM618). The V+ gen 2 is a Toshiba based SSD with Toshiba NAND. It is a VERY good SSD.
So your right Kingston is a good company to pick for SSD....yet not exactly for the reasons you think. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
Sorry to ask, but I personally tend to consider the XP / Adobe CS3 load time a lot when compairing the different SSDs. What makes the Intel 80gb (I assume its the X-25) so good compared to the other drives ?

Also, I can wait, but I am getting more and more tempted to get an SSD, should I keep on waiting a few more months ?
Intel does not support HWC. Thus the Intel in our charts was a) a gen 1 b) was a loaner so we cant update the numbers. It will be removed from future reviews. We are working on getting a Gen 2.

The X25 gen 2 is very good SSD because of its price to performance. In the sub 100GB arena it is the best. The 128 and 256GB full speed Indilinx SSDs can compete against the Intel but they cost a heck of a lot more. Same goes for the Kingston V+. At 235 bucks the Intel is a steal. At 400bucks....I wasnt as big a fan of it. ;)

Up until recently you had to chose between a more jack of all trades approach (Indilinx & Toshiba and to less extent Samsung) which has good small, med and lg file performance or the small file is king approach (intel...remember Intel is all about the server market and doesnt care about individuals when building their kit). I personally prefer the Indilinx & Toshiba power profile, but for first time users....the Intel was a better choice as small file is the most area of importance. However, with the advent of Sandforce with its kick ass small and great medium and decent lg performance....you no longer have to chose between the two approaches. Thus given a budget of say 500 or less Id take a Sandforce over all the rest. IF money is tight pick a Intel. IF you need more than 80gb and have to pay retail prices pick a Falcon 1/ Torqx/ Vertex/ Corsair X or Kingston V+.

Old May 12, 2010, 02:11 PM
Banned

Any reason why you did not mention OCZ? They make the best ones besides Intel IMHO. The new Agility 2's are nothing to sneeze at.
Old May 12, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes they are but as he stated there not tested as in there firmware is not tried and true. all the new ocz are the same with different firmware basically. if your gonaa get one of them get the vertex 2 as much as i like the price on the agility the vertex 2 is only 30 dollars more and it can do 50,000 4kb iops wow.