Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2010, 03:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Intel does not support HWC. Thus the Intel in our charts was a) a gen 1 b) was a loaner so we cant update the numbers. It will be removed from future reviews. We are working on getting a Gen 2.

The X25 gen 2 is very good SSD because of its price to performance. In the sub 100GB arena it is the best. The 128 and 256GB full speed Indilinx SSDs can compete against the Intel but they cost a heck of a lot more. Same goes for the Kingston V+. At 235 bucks the Intel is a steal. At 400bucks....I wasnt as big a fan of it. ;)
Ok, so if you had the newer Intel, how much better do you think the benchmarks would be? Significantly better or only slightly?

I got my prices in which do you think I should get?

Intel 160GB $465 (Will put into desktop and take Kingston V Gen 2 and put it into notebook)
Intel 80GB $235
Corsair X128 $509
Corsair X64 $259
Kingston V+ 128GB $349 (Will put into desktop and take Kingston V Gen 2 and put it into notebook)
Kingston V+ 64GB $229 (bundle)

So I am flipping in between the Kingston/Intel 128/160 or save some money and get the Intel 80. Your thoughts?

Old May 12, 2010, 04:19 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Probably moderate to mild increases over the gen 1. There really isnt that much dif between the gen 1 and gen 2 Intel drives....except trim support. BUT there will be an increase in performance across the board. ;)

If $250 is your comfort range...get the Intel X25m gen2 80GB. I would chose it over the X64 (full speed Indi. drive) or the 60gb V+.

IF 3 bills is your limit...YGPM now in a minute. ;)

IF you got 5bills to spend....hmmm get the 160GB Intel from that list....BUT I would seriously look at the SandForce drives.

I wouldnt even look at the X128 for 5 bills. A full speed Indi is a full speed Indi. Get a torqx w/ 10yr warranty for less....or Vertex 1 for less still! :)

Edit to keep it to one post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
Any reason why you did not mention OCZ? They make the best ones besides Intel IMHO. The new Agility 2's are nothing to sneeze at.
TBH I dont even look at labels anymore. A full speed Indilinx is a full speed Indi....no matter what the mfg on the label says.

SandForce SF1200 is a SF1200....except when it aint. SF is purposely hobbling their firmware for all but Vertex 2. The Agility 2 and Vertex 2 are basically the same drive just one has hobbled firmware. Corsair has gotten around this by NOT upgrading the firmware on their F100. It is the same speed as the Vertex 2.

It will be interesting if SF decides to continue down this road as it may kill they in the long run. NO one likes being screwed over like this, so it is possible they will renege on it and open the firmware again. IF they dont, then yeah I would specifically recommend the Vertex 2 over the others. Im playing a wait and see approach to the SF drama. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; May 12, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
IF you got 5bills to spend....hmmm get the 160GB Intel from that list....BUT I would seriously look at the SandForce drives.
Here is a question, who has sandforce drives out? I know there are the Corsair F100/F200 and then the OCZ Vertex 2/Agility 2, but are there any others you know about?

Old May 12, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

May or may not have a Gskill Phoenix here. /whistle

Patriot also has one out. OR at least one was announced at CES.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 12, 2010, 06:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

he he he er! patriot too ah? oh cool round too this time there using sandforce instead of indilinx ah.
Old May 12, 2010, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Newegg is currently selling a couple of SF SSD.

Newegg.ca - Computer Hardware,Hard Drives,SSD,100GB
Old May 12, 2010, 07:23 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

This is a good price:
NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Vertex 60GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - OCZSSD2-1VTX60G In Canada.
RFD
Old May 12, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like Mushkin also has some now. The are the Callisto line, 60GB, 120GB & 240GB.

SSDs - Mushkin Enhanced

Old May 13, 2010, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So after much thought I have decided to go with the Kingston V+ 128GB. I almost went with the Intel 80, but in the end the coin flip came out in Kingston's favor. So I will be taking the Kingston V Gen2 out of my machine and putting in the V+, then sticking the V into the new notebook.

Thanks for all the help.

Oh hey one more question. I currently have an Intel 80GB sitting here at work and it has the 2CV102HA firmware. Is it worth it to upgrade it to the 2CV102HD? Machine is leaving my office today and would like to figure out if I should upgrade or not.

Old May 13, 2010, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nova 32gb is $99 right now.

The Vertex 60gb is $139

.... and it seems the budget priced Intel is off sale now...

What should I do? I know nothing about these drives yet...!