Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2010, 03:54 PM
Rookie

I was looking more for a value comparison, I know SSD are the best. But to put it in the form of $ what is the wise move. I was looking at a 120GB OCZ vertex the cost roughly >$3.00/GB. Comparing the lessoned performance of the 2 1tb blacks in raid0. When I pay the extra $100 is the performance worth it? AkG you are a reviewer you do the whole cost:perofrmance. By the time HDD reach SATA 6 capability we will be making settlements on Pluto.
Old May 11, 2010, 04:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Talking SSD vs HDD

I believe there is a comparison in the reviews. Perhaps AkG can help me here. I think it's the review concerning the new OCZ SSD. Also, if you check the buy/sell/trade section, there are good SSDs for sale right now at reasonable prices, thus negating value comparisons,hehe. Good luck, and I hope these guys have helped you. If you've never used a SSD, I found out there are certain steps you should take when installing the OS and keeping it efficient. It is in this storage section called SSD for OS.
Old May 11, 2010, 04:15 PM
Rookie

could I get a link there?
Old May 11, 2010, 04:24 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IF you are looking for a good 128GB SSD. I have a V+ for sale in the BST. Could let it go for 3bills.

IF you are looking for cost vs size "value". HDDs win. IF you are looking at performance of two Raid'ed hdds vs SSD + HDD. Raid loses....badly. IF you can afford SSDs go the SSD route. IF you cant, get a decent hard drive. IF you can afford 100 bucks x 2 for hard drives....can your budget stretch to 225'ish. Instead of getting two 1tb drives, get a Intel V for the OS @ about 125 and 1TB for 100. IF two bills is your MAX budget, can you "get by" with only 640gb of space? If so get a Intel V and a 640 black. That would be about 2bills. IF two bills is you max and you need more then 640gb of space, then look at raid. Like I said I dont like raid 0 for hdds (or ssd's tbh), but that is just personal opinion. Others do. YMMV :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 11, 2010, 04:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Red face Which 5850 to buy

Guys help. I can't seem to get the link on there for him. Brain fart!!!
Old May 11, 2010, 04:30 PM

Do you mean this one?
SSD for OS

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 11, 2010, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thumbs up SSD vs HDD

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks again AkG. You DA MAN!!!
Old May 11, 2010, 04:40 PM
Rookie

It really wasn't money for me, I assumed 2xwd black 640gb ran faster in raid0 due to two less platters and probably would have had more than enough memory. But if performance specs on the 1tb versions are on par I'm game for that. I really don't want to jump on the SSD bandwagon till they have 250gb or so for less than a grand.
Old May 11, 2010, 04:42 PM
Rookie

As soon as it hits 999.99 I'm on that like Donkey Kong on Princess Peach.
Old May 11, 2010, 04:48 PM

Well then guys.....you should have SSDs then! A lot of the Indilinx drives are now under 1k for 256GB. Hell usually they are in the 8 bill range. ;)