Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2010, 03:43 PM
Allstar

Default SSD + Storage Drive

Whats the best way of doing this?

I want to have all my files on the storage driver and all the .exe on the SSD. Also, I don't want to have to transfer files over to the storage drive after they are saved on the C:Disk.

Never had this kind of setup before so this is probably a n00by question.

Thanks.

Also, just installed a fresh copy of windows 7 on the SSD. And reformatted the HDD. So everything is fresh
Old May 5, 2010, 03:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What you're looking for would be a function of whatever software you are using. In most cases, the "data" will be stored on the same drive as you installed the program, however some programs which use a lot of data will allow you to specify a location for that data to be stored which would be your storage drive.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 5, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

so install all the important stuff on the ssd then put your data on you spinner. what do you me you don't want to copy to the hdd after installing to the ssd? for 1 why would you you should have backups else where. jmo if this is what you mean? . answered

edit you can do that with all apps it's custom install and you really should put most apps on the ssd maybe not games if space is short. not point of having said ssd if your waiting for things to open off a spinner fro me there just good for data. jmo
Old May 5, 2010, 03:55 PM
Allstar

I think I worded it wrong. I'll be more spesific

You know you User Folder in Windows Explorer?

With music/movies/downloads all that crap

I want this to be on the storage drive only.
Old May 5, 2010, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you can movie it but it's a real pain in the A$$ and some software does not like when you do that i would just save things to the data drive things don't have to go to the " my doc" section of "C" you can put them anywhere. jmo as always

I think what you mean is to move all temp folders there not worth it in my opinion.
Old May 5, 2010, 04:16 PM
Allstar

Hmm ok...

what is the point of having a storage drive then?

then is no way my little SSD can hold all my music and movies and stuff...

Seems really inconvenient to have to go find every movie and song album or picture instead of them already being in the program. ie: itunes ie: picuture galary

Sure, i can dump them all in one folder but then is EXTREMELY Unorganized.
Old May 5, 2010, 04:44 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Go into your user directory (the one that contains My Documents, My Music, etc.). Right-click on each of the folders and go into their properties. Select the Location tab. From there, you can put the folders wherever you want them.
Old May 5, 2010, 05:06 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Go into your user directory (the one that contains My Documents, My Music, etc.). Right-click on each of the folders and go into their properties. Select the Location tab. From there, you can put the folders wherever you want them.
GENIOUS! THANKS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 5, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

misunderstood. just to point out that every time i did this in xp years ago it made 2 copies. I may have screwed it up though.
edit i never or have every used the "my doc" section of my os i always manage my own stuff. it's just me
Old May 5, 2010, 09:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

He is using windows 7, there is no reason for this to be difficult.

Open up your libraries. As you can see in the picture there is a spot that says "Includes: x locations"

Just click on the x locations and it will open up a box that allows you to select where you want the library to be located. Just add the spot you want it on the storage disk. Once you add one other spot you can remove the default one.

Just do that for all of the libraries and you will be good to go. I know that this kind of thing caused issues in XP but it is fine in Win 7.