Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2010, 05:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya see what i was talking about was moving the user folders what there are talking about is moving each folder by it self. I guess it's easier this way. like i said before i never use "my doc" never have never will i see no point to it. good too know that though thanks glad to see that 7 makes it easier very cool
Old May 6, 2010, 07:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
ya see what i was talking about was moving the user folders what there are talking about is moving each folder by it self. I guess it's easier this way. like i said before i never use "my doc" never have never will i see no point to it. good too know that though thanks glad to see that 7 makes it easier very cool

I never really used it before with XP, but now with 7 I can set multiple locations and decide which one is default. This way no matter where I put a certain picture, my wife can just go to the pictures library and find it, even though in reality the pictures are across multiple drives.

Old May 8, 2010, 10:40 AM
Rookie

Quote:

How did you do it in XP? There are registry keys in either HKCU or HKLM. I believe around...

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\ShellFolders

You can change the path of many common folders that way.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:59 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rrd View Post
How did you do it in XP?
The same way I explained in my last post. That method works in XP, Vista, and Windows 7 (perhaps even earlier versions).
Old May 10, 2010, 06:53 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The same way I explained in my last post. That method works in XP, Vista, and Windows 7 (perhaps even earlier versions).
I had read your post, and thanks. I was unaware of that method. My particular post was in response to Gingerbee, though. Was wondering how he normally went about it.
Old May 10, 2010, 07:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh i just never use the user file ie "my documents". but the way i used to do it was to move all user files it was through where you define user path way it has been awhile but you had to change reg keys. the reason it sucked was it made 2 copies that was the last time i tried it years ago i don't need it at ll not sure why people do.
Old May 10, 2010, 08:18 AM
Rookie

Quote:
oh i just never use the user file ie "my documents". but the way i used to do it was to move all user files it was through where you define user path way it has been awhile but you had to change reg keys. the reason it sucked was it made 2 copies that was the last time i tried it years ago i don't need it at ll not sure why people do.

It depends on the scenario. In my particular environment, the staff log in all over and require access to their documents in all locations. The documents are stored on network drives which are mapped at log in. The IT group decided to make their My Documents point to their network drives so that the staff don't have to think about it.

Thanks for the response. :)
Old May 10, 2010, 09:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I would create a movie/music/download folder in your storage drive, and set up your programs (browsers, music players, etc..) to use those folders instead. Works like a charm for me.

I never use the my user folders (my docs, pics, music, etc...) unless its really temporary or something I'm working on. All software is installed on the SSD with the exception of games. Steam is also installed on the storage drive because any games associated with it will be installed in the same directory.

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD
Old May 10, 2010, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rrd View Post
It depends on the scenario. In my particular environment, the staff log in all over and require access to their documents in all locations. The documents are stored on network drives which are mapped at log in. The IT group decided to make their My Documents point to their network drives so that the staff don't have to think about it.

Thanks for the response. :)
no thank you this makes sense too me now it's a network/business/issue which makes sense i stay away from doing computer work like this( I do one car parts store and i always worry i am going to screw something up, not that i can i do backups). my computer career started by accident i was bored, so i want to keep it this way building machines i like.