Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 30, 2010, 03:04 AM
Dan Dan is offline
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 87

My System Specs

Default Which programs to put on SSD ??

Really not sure on this one.

Apart from the OS and game, which other program should/must be on the SSD ???
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 30, 2010, 04:09 AM
gingerbee's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Posts: 6,827

My System Specs

Default

none have to be but i put all my apps installed to my ssd/os/boot that's just me, games take up the most so.
__________________
Fav quote "One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret." Ronin Harris
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 30, 2010, 06:14 AM
FreeKnight's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 526

My System Specs

Default

I generally put any programs that are resource intensive on my SSD; Corel Draw, Movie Maker, Rhino, etc.

Things like MS Office, webbrowsers, etc don't tax a WD black's transfer rate so no sense in putting them on the SSD.
Games definitely go on the SSD though :D
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 30, 2010, 07:15 AM
AkG's Avatar
AkG AkG is offline
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,327
Default

Whatever you use the most should go on the SSD.
IF the system is more for games then office, then yup Office, wordperfect, openoffice, etc go on the HDD IF the SSD cant fit both on them.
IF the system is more for "work" then play...the opposite holds true.
Fill it to 80-85% capacity with the things you NEED and if there is room leftover (still leaving 15% or so free for wearleveling) then go to the "wants" and then if still room...the "nice to haves" ;)

I usually have one game installed on my SSD (whatever Im really playing the most) and the rest is for work. Word 2k3, O2k7, 02k10 64bit, photoshop CS3, Dreavweaver CS4, FF, Thunderbird, etc etc etc
__________________
"If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." -JR

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 30, 2010, 12:54 PM
Dan Dan is offline
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 87

My System Specs

Default

Excellent, makes sense.

Thanks !!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Programs for Win 7 32 or 64 bit? GMJim O/S's, Drivers & General Software 0 January 22, 2010 05:28 PM
Font management programs? Sam! O/S's, Drivers & General Software 1 September 3, 2009 12:08 AM
Programs to overclock Shady O/S's, Drivers & General Software 12 July 17, 2009 10:52 PM
Programs That Choke Your Chicken misterlarry O/S's, Drivers & General Software 30 September 23, 2008 08:42 AM
Benchmark/Stress Test Programs Gav Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking 5 April 9, 2007 10:59 PM