Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 22, 2010, 12:20 PM
Rookie

Default External Drive Enclosure - Best Value with Esata

Hey guys, looking for a recommendation on the a drive enclosure:Purpose - storage drive for movies/video to HTPC

the HDD that I am looking at is WD15EARS
I require an Esata connection with USB2.0 as well

What would be the best value for an external enclosure?

Thanks
S
Old April 22, 2010, 12:42 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have been using this one for a few years, and have suggested them for people with zero complaints:
NCIX.com - Buy Vantec Nexstar 3 External 3.5IN SATA Black Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure eSATA USB2.0 - NST-360SU-BK In Canada.

I have a 1.5TB Green in there, that replaced a 1TB Green, and had a 500GB Seagate for a while.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 22, 2010, 01:21 PM
Banned

^+1! I agree. It's also a good choice because the WDxxEARS runs fairly cool for a spindle drive but of course, it's at 5400rpm speed. Just remember to align the partition but if you use Windows 7, Windows 7 will do it automatically. It's just easier to do it before you store data on it.

Yeah, the Vantec Nexstar 3 enclosures are good for those drives as you don't need the extra cooling or active fans in the enclosure. The one posted is good and there's also ones in blue for around the same price. You can price match it via newegg, for e.g., to get about 10 bucks off.

I have two of the blue enclosures and they work fine. Make sure you get the model (#) that includes usb and esata.
Old April 22, 2010, 02:12 PM
Rookie

perfect - using Win 7, so thats a good tip.
I assume that ext enclosures are tough to find (may not even exist) that have an internal power supply?