Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2010, 09:40 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Corsair Nova V128 SSD Review Comment Thread

The SSD market is currently cluttered with a massive number of companies who all seem to be peddling the same kit. Corsair is trying to distinguish themselves from their competition by releasing the Nova series which is aimed directly at first-time SSD buyers who want a perfect combination of performance and value. In this review we take a look at their 128GB version.

[ Read full article ]

Last edited by SKYMTL; April 21, 2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old April 21, 2010, 09:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

God damn those are nice, first SSD that made me REALLY interested!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 21, 2010, 11:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great review AkG.

Here is a question for you. On the CrystalDiskMark benchmarks I know you run 5 iterations but what size are they? Do you leave it at 1000MB (which I think is default) or do you set it to something else like 100MB. Also does it seem to make much of a difference and if so which is the best to test on.

Old April 22, 2010, 05:06 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Thanks guys. I really do appreciate it.

I leave CDM in its default 100mb config as that is how most peeps run it. Thus it easier to compare to others results (or at least keeps you in the same ball park).

In the next 6 - 9 mths I will be adding in a few new tests (basically once I upgrade the testbed). Along with the "normal" IOM I will use IOM to test pure 4k read and 4k write speed using 10GB or 20gb of space. THAT will give a much better idea of the power of a ssd. Same goes for random access. 4k read and 4k write. I'll include avg, and max numbers to give a much more clear picture of the controller. Im going to be doing this as I have yet to find a stock program that tests big enough chunks for my satisfaction.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 22, 2010, 07:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Thanks guys. I really do appreciate it.

I leave CDM in its default 100mb config as that is how most peeps run it. Thus it easier to compare to others results (or at least keeps you in the same ball park).
Perfect, that is what I have been using as well, so now I know my tests are comparable. Thanks.

Old April 22, 2010, 07:51 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Good to see more drives like this in this segment; this is more than good enough for most folks, and as long as a drive has Trim and garbage collection then firmware updates are no biggie for most people.

Might not be the cheapest but will still help to push prices down and increase the likelihood of sales, etc.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 22, 2010, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Great review AkG!
So if I read your review and look at benchmarks and I want to compare my VERTEX to this one, I just look at the Patriot Torx right? Your reviews refers to the Vertex as still being one of the more performing drives compared to this Nova 128GB, so I'm surprised you didn't add VERTEX 120GB results (you already reviewed it in the past).
I was strongly considering this SSD, but went for the VERTEX 120Gb at $299 after MIR (my MIR is already accepted and processing). Also, the VERTEX is 3 years warranty (bracket has to be purchased separately tho).

All in all, between the Falcon II 128GB that sells for around $329 on sale (no bracket) and Corsair Nova 128GB that retails for around $350 (including bracket) they're pretty much even.

Brackets can be PMed to around $5 to $7@ NCIX/Directcanada anyway.

Good review, HWC and AkG!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old April 22, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hi Delavan,
A full speed Indilinx is a full speed Indilinx, so yes you can use the Torqx results for a Vertex or a Falcon 1. The reason for the truncating of the charts is that they were just getting to cluttered so I cut it back to one example for each "class". Of the full speed Indilinx's the Torqx was the one that impressed me the most, so I kept it and dropped the others.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 22, 2010, 11:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just wanted to thankyou for the review, appreciate them.
Old April 22, 2010, 03:05 PM
Banned

How would this compare to a Agility 120GB?