Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2010, 08:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default SSD alignment help

So on the weekend I tried AS SSD Benchmark tool and it showed 31K-Bad on my new SSd Drive ,Listening to AKG and Gingerbee it turns out to be an alignment problem so I reformated the ssd and used Acronis 10 to clone my C drive to the ssd. I tested the ssd with AS before cloning and it showed good to go 1024K-Good and after cloning 31K Bad , I reformated again checked the ssd ( good to go) and did a clean install of Win 7 X64 Pro Checked the drive with AS and it showed 31K-Bad.(WTF) I ran AS Benchmark on the ssd both before and after each time and as others have found there is about a 10% to 15% hit on performance when AS shows 31K-bad . I then did a clone with Acronis 10 to a clean 640 black and the same thing happened 31K-Bad , I checked my C drive AS says 31K-bad so after hours of fumbling with disk parT I was able to realign the C drive so AS was happy checked my ssd ,AS = happy , cloned C drive to ssd with Acronis10 = 31K-BAD!!!! (Banging Head on wall) WHAT AM I DOING WRONG PLEASE a little help if you can .
Old April 19, 2010, 09:01 AM

My System Specs

You shouldn't need to align any SSD w/ Windows 7 or Vista. What drive are you using? And please post some benches.
Old April 19, 2010, 09:14 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I agree with you , Crystaldisk of course does not show that, it wasn't until I downloaded AS SSD that I even found out about alignment . I tried AS because so many others seem to like that benching tool now I wish I had remained in the dark about alignment. As soon as I get the SSD back up and running I will post benchmarks.
Attached Images

Old April 19, 2010, 09:19 AM

My System Specs

What drive is this?
Old April 19, 2010, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

um after have issues all weekend with this i can tell you i am not 100% that it's right ( i say this cause i have found that even after a perfect install it can still be offset wrong but if you look for some reason only the 100mb res chunk is off or the main install but one or the other is still lined up fine I have no idea what's up with this)
Old April 19, 2010, 09:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
um after have issues all weekend with this i can tell you i am not 100% that it's right ( i say this cause i have found that even after a perfect install it can still be offset wrong but if you look for some reason only the 100mb res chunk is off or the main install but one or the other is still lined up fine I have no idea what's up with this)
The funny thing is that I get about 10% higher scores with Crystal Disk ???? Go figgure
Old April 19, 2010, 12:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just got an email from OCZ and they said not to worry about it if the drive seems to be running properly, the say that AS doesn't always read the drive properly
Old April 19, 2010, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that's what i thought so i wasted my time ahh crap of well time to go back to my old setup.
Old April 19, 2010, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

See I have that same issue but haven't tackled trying to fix it yet.

Now I am wondering if it is reading it wrong or am I actually losing out on 10-15% performance? Cause if I am I want to fix it, but if I'm not then why bother with all the trouble. Hmm, if CDM gets 10% higher scores then wouldn't that mean that it does make a difference and it is not just AS reading it wrong?

Old April 19, 2010, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have never been able to notice it in my benchmark any of them i thought i would trust as ssd adn it seems my gut feeling was right. and i am pretty sure he saying that it was 10 to 15 % faster being not lined up.