Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2010, 03:15 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Western Digital Black WD1002FAEX vs. WD1001FALS?

Just headed to the local computer shop ready to buy the trusty 1TB Western Digital Black WD1001FALS drive to use for some quick storage (non-OS drive).

Got in there, and the store employee mentioned the new version: WD1002FAEX . This caused me great stress trying to decide (kidding ).

From my quick research done while in the store, these were the differences:

FALS: 32 MB cache, Sata2, often three 333GB platters (not sure if newer ones are that size though)

FAEX: 64MB cache, Sata3, and the new 'dual arm tech' pioneered by the WD Black 2TB drive, and two 500GB platters

The FAEX was only $5 more than the FALS, so I got the new version. I checked Newegg and other forums for people complaining about issues with this model, and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I have paid no attention to the Sata3 feature, but I am wondering if there is any real advantage to the new FAEX over the FALS?

Couple of reviews I found:
PC Perspective - Western Digital SATA 6Gb/sec 1TB Caviar Black (WD1002FAEX) Review
Western Digital's 6Gbps Caviar Black 1TB hard drive - The Tech Report - Page 1
Fold for team #54196
Old April 17, 2010, 05:41 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I read lots of complaints about the noise from this FEAX Black, but its no issue for me in my quiet water cooled rig for those wondering.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 17, 2010, 05:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

benchmarks?
Old April 17, 2010, 06:02 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
benchmarks?
Here is a quick Crystal DM bench...
Attached Images

Fold for team #54196
Old April 17, 2010, 06:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm very nice.

Considering grabbing one or maybe two of these. Or maybe Samsung F3s. I don't know.
Old April 17, 2010, 07:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

nice thank you
Old April 26, 2010, 05:27 PM
Rookie

they do look a bit quicker than the older FALS. I guess they're going to be replacing the older model anytime now. Does anyone run them with green ones in the same machine? I'd like to know if they're about the same level in noise or exhibit any weird clicking sounds...
Old April 28, 2010, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Just headed to the local computer shop ready to buy the trusty 1TB Western Digital Black WD1001FALS drive to use for some quick storage (non-OS drive).

Got in there, and the store employee mentioned the new version: WD1002FAEX . This caused me great stress trying to decide (kidding ).

From my quick research done while in the store, these were the differences:

FALS: 32 MB cache, Sata2, often three 333GB platters (not sure if newer ones are that size though)

FAEX: 64MB cache, Sata3, and the new 'dual arm tech' pioneered by the WD Black 2TB drive, and two 500GB platters

The FAEX was only $5 more than the FALS, so I got the new version. I checked Newegg and other forums for people complaining about issues with this model, and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I have paid no attention to the Sata3 feature, but I am wondering if there is any real advantage to the new FAEX over the FALS?

Couple of reviews I found:
PC Perspective - Western Digital SATA 6Gb/sec 1TB Caviar Black (WD1002FAEX) Review
Western Digital's 6Gbps Caviar Black 1TB hard drive - The Tech Report - Page 1
FAEX would be my choice if I was ever going to buy a WD Black. I prefer Green drives for storage, though, so WD Green WDxxEARS or Samsung EcoGreens but that's just me. For OS, I would like to get a SSD. If buying a WD Black, 1TB, I would choose the FAEX since it's a 're-design' and only 2 platters. 'Don't really care about the SATA 3 at this point, though.