Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2010, 12:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default SSD sata2 & sata3 mobo

Hey !!!

Getting all my stuff soon for my first build. Coming soon

The only question I can think of so far (will have plenty more later, I'm sure...) is: Can I plug the SSD sata2 in the sata3 plug from the mobo ???

Ps: total newb here.
Old April 16, 2010, 12:58 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sata 6gb/s is backwards compatible to sata 3gb/s. So there is no physical reason why you can't just plug it in and go. BUT Sata 6gb/s controller is usually the marvel controller (iirc its the only one right now on the Intel side of things) and it does a slightly less optimal job at sata 2 then Intel's ICH 10. While the dif is small, you may want to plug in your OS drive to the Intel ports (which I assume the SSD is going to be used as) and plug another drive into the Marvel ports. YMMV But that is how I would do things. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 16, 2010, 01:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Sata 6gb/s is backwards compatible to sata 3gb/s. So there is no physical reason why you can't just plug it in and go. BUT Sata 6gb/s controller is usually the marvel controller (iirc its the only one right now on the Intel side of things) and it does a slightly less optimal job at sata 2 then Intel's ICH 10. While the dif is small, you may want to plug in your OS drive to the Intel ports (which I assume the SSD is going to be used as) and plug another drive into the Marvel ports. YMMV But that is how I would do things. :)
I second this. My old board had an ICH10r and so does my new one. Thats where i'm pluggin my SSD's in.
Old April 16, 2010, 02:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yes, I want to use the SSD for the OS and I have a WD caviar black for storage.