Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2010, 09:54 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Default 120mm Hard Drive bay, thingy? Need help

Hello once again all, I love posting here with strange questions like this sometimes, because I know someone on the forum can always help out.

Anyways, on to the matter at hand. I have a Silverstone SG-05 which has basically been gutted in order to fit an Asetek LCLC-240mm (2x120m Rad self-contained WC loop). I don't want to part with the the case nor the LCLC, but due to the "fun" I had installing it (read: extreme frustration, too much time invested) I only have one remaining 3.5'' hard drive bay left.

So, here's my wacky question: Does anyone know of a hard drive mount/bay/etc that can attach to 120mm fan mounting holes? This would allow a few extra hard drives to be added to the system directly behind the the "thru" fans on the Rad. Weird, I know. But if it wasn't weird it just wouldn't be me, haha.

Thanks in advance fellas

PS: FYI, this will become a mini backup/NAS/file server hopefully. Recycling an old 5000+ BE and an ASUS M2A-VM 690g board.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:58 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IF you are using a SSD...you can get Scythe PCI slot adaptor which will mount two SSDs in a PCI slot. Ncix sells em.
You could get a 4in3 5.25 to 3.5 adapter w/ front cooling fan and use long ass screws to attach the adapter to a fan port via the "front" fan. Would take up a LOT of room....but in theory it would also work. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 13, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

Sure there is.. 4-in-3 Device Module - Cooler Master

I have this thing, that I don't use any more. As you can see the fan attached to the bay with some kind of grommets. But the other side is clear to attach the fan to the rad, it sits in 3 5 1/4" bays and hold 4 hdds.

I bought mine for a Custom Voodoo PC Lian Li case, that had the hdd cages taken out for a radiator, used this to hold my hdds. I have no use for it, when I get home (and I remember :p) i can get you some better pics.

But if that's what you're looking for, there is also one from Thermaltake iCage I think it's called, also Silverstone makes one, same idea.. sits in the 5 1/4" bays, I could be wrong but I think the rest of them actually take all 4 bays, where as the CM one only takes 3 bays, but I could be wrong as I said.

Lian Li also makes some, Scythe I've seen one from them too, Kama Bay or some name like that.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old April 13, 2010, 10:09 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Ooooh, good ideas! Can't believe i didn't think of the CM 4in3, i have 3x of those in Behemoth!!! And I think I can get away with stealing one Might have a good option right there.

also, AkG, i think you're talking about this? Scythe "SLOT RAFTER" 2.5"-Drives (HDD/SSD) Mounter
If so, it's only for 2.5'' Hard drives or SSDs, bah. Why can't everything just stay 3.5? lol

Im liking the 4in3 idea though... i might try pulling one to see how it fits.

Keep the great ideas coming!

EDIT:
Found this too! Newegg.ca - SANS DIGITAL HDDRACK5 5-Bay IDE / SATA Hard Drive Organizing Rack - Server Accessories
Looks interesting, but would require LOTS of modding to make it fit in the small SG-05.
Old April 13, 2010, 10:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Scythe Kama Bay. Silverstone Bay Adaptor.

I use both and they are great even if you just want to add some Extra Fans to your case via the Front Panel.

All this comming from the guy who said "I don't know why Cases even come with so many 5.25" bays anymore"

But seriously, check those two out as well, they work awesome.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 13, 2010, 10:37 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Scythe Kama Bay. Silverstone Bay Adaptor.

I use both and they are great even if you just want to add some Extra Fans to your case via the Front Panel.

All this comming from the guy who said "I don't know why Cases even come with so many 5.25" bays anymore"

But seriously, check those two out as well, they work awesome.

ST
Well the SG-05 has exactly ONE 5.25'' bay (so the scythe kama bay will not work), the rest of the front panel is only intended for 120mm intake fans. So I modded a push-pull into the case, but still only have 120mm fans afterward, so bays are required. Which SS bay are you talking about? Model #?
Old April 13, 2010, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Here's the iCage also.. NCIX.com - Buy Thermaltake iCage 5.25IN To 3.5IN Aluminum Drive Bay Convertor W/ 120MM Blue LED Fan - A2309 In Canada.. I still think the 4 in 3 module would be perfect Meta..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old April 13, 2010, 11:35 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Here's the iCage also.. NCIX.com - Buy Thermaltake iCage 5.25IN To 3.5IN Aluminum Drive Bay Convertor W/ 120MM Blue LED Fan - A2309 In Canada.. I still think the 4 in 3 module would be perfect Meta..
Ill do some test fitting tonight for my spare 4in3. gotta pull out a bunch of hardware for an upcoming FS thread that ive been meaning to do for months also, lol. fun times!
Old April 13, 2010, 07:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone CFP51 Silver 3X5.25 to 4X3.5 Hard Drive Bay Converter W/ 120MM Blue LED Fan - CFB51-S In Canada.

Thats the SIlverstone 3 Bay one.

Or

For a SIngle Bay

NCIX.com - Buy Startech 5.25IN Drive Bay Hard Drive Cooler with 3 Fans Black - FANDRIVEBK In Canada.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 13, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have the silverstone adapter for sale... price is negotiable

Sushi's FS and WTB/WTT