Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default AkG? What's the best way to TRIM in Win7?

Howdy,

I know that Win7 supports TRIM on TRIM-enabled SSDs.
There is 2 ways to get the SSD to run it's TRIM routine.

1-Login off your profile and let the computer idling at login screen.
2-Reboot, access the BIOS screen, and let the computer sitting at the BIOS screen.

Out of the 2 ways, which one is the best? Is there any info on that?
Also, do we know how long it takes for an SSD to run it's full TRIM routine? I assume it has to do with the amount of "dirt" to TRIM and SSD capacity, but is there numbers we can use to get an idea?

Thanks in advance for any valuable info on the topic!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old April 12, 2010, 04:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

AkG told me last week that the OCZ Vertexes pass the TRIM command to the drive at the time the file is deleted. It's totally automatic, and always up to date.
Old April 12, 2010, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

from what i know if you just let the system idle trim will work. i don't think there a best way to do it is there? well akg your up he he.
Old April 12, 2010, 05:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It's an automated process
Old April 12, 2010, 05:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I think you are mixing up Idle Time Garbage Collection and TRIM. In a nutshell (and this is the "coles notes" version for both TRIM and ITGC) TRIM Is a command that is sent to the ssd controller to do a cell cleaning along with a file delete. In the old days (last year ;) ) a file would be marked as deleted BUT the cells would still be in a used state. This is why ssds got into a degraded state. Trim is an automatic function and as long as you are running in AHCI w/ a TRIM capable AHCI driver...you are GOLDEN.

ITGC or Idle Time Garbage Collection is different. It is a work around for OS's that DONT support TRIM. During low IO activity the SSD controller takes it upon its self to do some house cleaning. It compares active files vs the cells in a used state. ANY cells which contain data which is no longer being used or active (ie contains a file that has been "deleted") it refreshens the cells.

i assume you are running 1.5 on your Vertex. IF so it has both ITGC and TRIM. IF you are not running win 7 or another TRIM aware OS. All you need do is let the system IDle for awhile. You dont "need" to log out and leave the sys at the login screen. This was for the first ITGC firmware revisions. It is now much faster and does it more often (ie it doesnt wait for such extended down time periods before starting a ITGC run). What is really cool is that it can do small chunks of housecleaning at a time and you would be surprised at how fast it kicks in. TBH, let the sys idle overnight every so often and you will be golden. There really is no "best practices" for ITGC.

What is noteworthy is that many peeps such as myself PREFER ITGC to TRIM as it puts off the housecleaning to low IO periods. This means that there is no performance hit with ITGC like there is w/ TRIM while you are USING the system! That is why I still run 1.41 on my SLC Agility EX. The only downside to ITGC vs TRIM is that ITGC is harder on the cells and NEEDS downtime to happen, whereas TRIM is a fire and forget deal. ;)

Hope that helps

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 12, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Humm,

Ok I was a little off... Seems like clarifications were needed. Thanks for the info! I'm sure it will be useful to somebody else!
Yes I run Win7 and firmware is 1.5.
So basically I was almost doing this idle thingy for nothing.
Alright thanks!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)

Last edited by Delavan; April 13, 2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old April 12, 2010, 07:28 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

No problem. Always happy to help. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr