Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   an other ssd/win7 install/clone question (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/30887-other-ssd-win7-install-clone-question.html)

Patramix April 11, 2010 12:10 PM

an other ssd/win7 install/clone question

howdy folks

me again :whistle:

UPS should be here tomorrow with my first SSD, got a few questions to pick your brains with :biggrin:

first is, i just reinstalled windows a week or 2 ago using AHCI, my question is, could i clone my current win7 to my SSD using something like arcronis? and what kind of steps would i need to take befor/after to insure it runs ok?

ive been reading all i can on that but if seen people saying weird stuff on many forums(including OCZ, i got an agility 60g) so wasn't sure what to think with it all

so would you guys even consider to clone?

gingerbee April 11, 2010 12:15 PM

hell yes just use acronis true image done it so many times know it works perfect it even keeps the offset right. just turn off defrag you can also do some tweaks if you want but not needed.
Windows 7 - Ultimate SSD Speed Tweaks

Patramix April 11, 2010 12:27 PM

sweet thanks

yeah been reading all those tweaks on these and ocz forums

ive spent most of the day reinstall all my app's and games on my raid array instead to keep the SSD as clear as possible and moved all my user folders(documents/music/download...) to my wd 1tb black drive. got my install down to 29gig with only main apps.

Patramix April 12, 2010 12:42 PM

well am happy seem's to work great.

got my win 7 cloned over, worked without any problems

Is there a way to know if trim is working?

gingerbee April 12, 2010 01:04 PM

yup just run this in command line fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify. fyi your pics aren't working :thumb:

Patramix April 12, 2010 01:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
it gives me DisableDeleteNotify=0

now if i have read the forums correctly that means its working right?

the C drive is my SSD and F is my raid(i ran the bench right after formatting it, so it was brand new)

gingerbee April 12, 2010 01:26 PM

yes then trim is forwarded/working ( i guess it would have help if i told ya that ah you can google it it every where )

nice the agility looks like a pretty good piece of kit.

Patramix April 12, 2010 04:29 PM

so far its awesome, never in (when did windows 3.1 came out? lol) well ever did i get windows to boot up so darn fast :)

after a few teaks and other steps i got my install and apps down to 18 gigs, so got plenty of room to play with (thanks god for 5Tb of storage lol) the Agility is performing perty well, for a first SSD its awesome i must say. so glad i got it.

thanks again for all the help and assistance guys much appreciated.

gingerbee April 12, 2010 05:21 PM

no problem at all. love the quote too who said that?

Patramix April 12, 2010 05:43 PM

no idear who said, i got it from an Eve-Online trailer video for 1 of there expansions (i play the game) that video just always stuck with me, and that quote is part of the opening sequence from the trailer, i would guess 1 of the guys over at CCP(the company that makes it) came up with it while doing the trailer or he got it from somewhere ealse.

its the No Other Destiny trailer.(very old trailer from the game, made in 2006)