Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2010, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
no such thing as hard feelings just winy people.
Better watch it there mate, I even mentioned I don't have an SSD and it was a guess.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old April 12, 2010, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

dude what the hell are you talking about i never called you said "winy people" lets put into context you said "No hard feelings gingerbee" hence i said there no such thing, just people who can't take the facts and the facts are akg is a reviewer for hwc i hope he does no more then me which he does and i am a computer builder who's been doing nothing but computers for too long ( hence i am saying i am not a winy person sorry for the confusion ) . have a smile and a coke on me

ok back to the topic i just did a fresh install of 7 on one of my s592's only storage adn it is listed for defrag, could this be the fact that i always install form a use flash key. ( ps these are legit os's i am using.)
Old April 12, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
dude what the hell are you talking about i never called you said "winy people" lets put into context you said "No hard feelings gingerbee" hence i said there no such thing, just people who can't take the facts and the facts are akg is a reviewer for hwc i hope he does no more then me which he does and i am a computer builder who's been doing nothing but computers for too long ( hence i am saying i am not a winy person sorry for the confusion ) . have a smile and a coke on me

ok back to the topic i just did a fresh install of 7 on one of my s592's only storage adn it is listed for defrag, could this be the fact that i always install form a use flash key. ( ps these are legit os's i am using.)
Ok ok, my bad.. I mis-understood you.. Sorry.. I'll have a smile .. you have a Timmys on me :p..

Yup Bow Down for The AkG..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old April 12, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I don't think it should matter USB key or DVD, I have done both and had it disable defrag for the SSD and not disable it using both.

So I think you said it best, "everyone should check period"

Old April 12, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Ok ok, my bad.. I mis-understood you.. Sorry.. I'll have a smile .. you have a Timmys on me :p..

Yup Bow Down for The AkG..
true Canada joke . i don't know if you have every been to orillia but there's timmies within eye sight of each other i am not joking you can pretty much see your next coffee fix.
Old April 12, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah GBee not saying your right and Im worng or vice versa. It litterally could be something as simple as luck of the draw, or image used or god only knows...after all it IS MS we are talking about! :)

Ive always used either a modified image and burned it to dvd and used the legit legally purchased key (modified Ultimate 32 or 64 iso w/ efi hack enabled to make it a universal dvd so it ASK you what version to install, that way I'm using a KNOWN good image, I dont have time to mess around with a corrupt install and can hand over the shrink wrapped box to the "owner" so THEY can keep track of the darn thing)....or via technt for my own systems. Could be as simple as OEM vs retail vs God only knows what...and he aint telling!

And I agree....always check! Never leave anything to chance. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 12, 2010, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yup that's why i do it that way, just make your image of all windows7 os's that way as long as you use the right key for the lic your using then your good to go. no disk every where

anymore it's kinda nice now what the hell i am i supposed to do with all these flash keys every where aagghh and there alot the same. ( playing the usb plug and hope it's the one your

looking for )
Old April 12, 2010, 07:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have an ex-girlfriend that grew up with her family in a lakehouse in Orillia.....

Old April 14, 2010, 09:32 AM
Rookie

O my, didn't know my topic would generate so much controversy =P. The drive has been ordered and should be delivered by Friday. I've decided to go with the 60GB drive as well.

Thanks everyone for the tips =)!
Old April 15, 2010, 01:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yeah GBee not saying your right and Im worng or vice versa. It litterally could be something as simple as luck of the draw, or image used or god only knows...after all it IS MS we are talking about! :)

Ive always used either a modified image and burned it to dvd and used the legit legally purchased key (modified Ultimate 32 or 64 iso w/ efi hack enabled to make it a universal dvd so it ASK you what version to install, that way I'm using a KNOWN good image, I dont have time to mess around with a corrupt install and can hand over the shrink wrapped box to the "owner" so THEY can keep track of the darn thing)....or via technt for my own systems. Could be as simple as OEM vs retail vs God only knows what...and he aint telling!

And I agree....always check! Never leave anything to chance. :)
Engineering Windows 7 : Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives

Quote:
Will disk defragmentation be disabled by default on SSDs?
Yes. The automatic scheduling of defragmentation will exclude partitions on devices that declare themselves as SSDs. Additionally, if the system disk has random read performance characteristics above the threshold of 8 MB/sec, then it too will be excluded. The threshold was determined by internal analysis.
The random read threshold test was added to the final product to address the fact that few SSDs on the market today properly identify themselves as SSDs. 8 MB/sec is a relatively conservative rate. While none of our tested HDDs could approach 8 MB/sec, all of our tested SSDs exceeded that threshold. SSD performance ranged between 11 MB/sec and 130 MB/sec. Of the 182 HDDs tested, only 6 configurations managed to exceed 2 MB/sec on our random read test. The other 176 ranged between 0.8 MB/sec and 1.6 MB/sec.