Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2010, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So get this I just checked the most recent install I did of Windows 7 onto a SSD and it did not turn defragmenting off. Why? No clue as I know it has in the past, maybe a change in updates or something but this just means that you should always double check to ensure it is turned off.

Old April 12, 2010, 08:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no it never does everyone just assumes it does. i have never had it turn it off ( just this week i did i have done 3 windows 7 installs and it only monday morning) i just did another one not 5 mins ago and it didn't turn it off just like all the others i did yesterday.

Like rj said ahci and the latest firmware and your good to go.
Old April 12, 2010, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

See they are supposed to, and I have had it disabled before, more than once.

From here you can see this:

Quote:
Will disk defragmentation be disabled by default on SSDs?
Yes. The automatic scheduling of defragmentation will exclude partitions on devices that declare themselves as SSDs. Additionally, if the system disk has random read performance characteristics above the threshold of 8 MB/sec, then it too will be excluded. The threshold was determined by internal analysis.

Will Superfetch be disabled on SSDs?
Yes, for most systems with SSDs.
If the system disk is an SSD, and the SSD performs adequately on random reads and doesn’t have glaring performance issues with random writes or flushes, then Superfetch, boot prefetching, application launch prefetching, ReadyBoost and ReadDrive will all be disabled.
So it is supposed to disable it, but I was looking at a few other threads and it is quite apparent that it seems to almost never detect the drives properly. In some cases it looks like updating the chipset drivers have helped but not very often.

So in closing it is supposed to disable it, but it almost never detects SSDs correctly and therefore doesn't disable what needs to.

Old April 12, 2010, 09:47 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

It doesn't turn defrag OFF. That would be counter-productive. Just think about it, most peeps use a SSD for their OS and a HDD for their data drive. IF it was turned "off" your hdd would get slow(er) over time. What it does is it simply doesn't setup a schedule automatically for the SSD. It is still there and "on" so you can use it on your HDDs BUT unless you tell it specifically to DO a defreag on the SSD....it will leave the SSD alone. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 12, 2010, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

not in my experience it will defrag the ssd too. like i said i have never found the setup auto detect ssd works worth a damn so i turn it off and use defragler if i need to defrag i just run it most modern disk don't slow down that much.
edit ReadyBoost and ReadDrive/readyboot will be disabled. I have never heard that before adn too top it off it never every turns those off. but like i said i do at least 5 install a week (ie not all on ssd ) but the ssd's ones i have done which are the majority now a days it never does any of these things. jm2cents
Old April 12, 2010, 10:23 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

wow I can honestly say that when i do a system and check defrag (i too don't completely trust MS) it has never had a schedule setup for the SSD.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 12, 2010, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

Gingerbee could be correct, but I would really listen to AkG here, having tested bunch of SSDs, he probably would have a better idea. No hard feelings gingerbee..

I am just wondering what AkG is saying could be true for Windows 7, but for XP/Vista it could be that Gingerbee stands corrected.

Whatever it is.. Fenrise all you have to do is make sure defrag doesn't have any schedules setup for your SSD, but does for your HDD.

I personally don't use an SSD, but for all my HDDs I use, I have defrag completely turned off, I manually defrag my hard drives every weekend, like a cleaning/maintenance process, run spybot, use ccleaner to clean off unnecessary files from the drives and registry keys, then I use malwarebytes to do a full scan.

You guys are all making me buy an SSD myself, I'm just about to purchase a laptop, I'll be broke lol.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old April 12, 2010, 10:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no such thing as hard feelings just winy people. well i just did another vmware workstation machine setup to check it out again and it did not do any of what it says it supposed to do not 1 thing.

This is not a matter of opinions everyone should check period( when i don't know myself i take akg over most reviewers because he's very honesty about products.) . i have only

bought 6 different brands of ssd even though i have bought about 50 ssd's this year and slowly climbing as people get on the ssd market. I will keep check until the day comes when i feel i don't have too that day is far from here IMHO.
Old April 12, 2010, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
It doesn't turn defrag OFF. That would be counter-productive. Just think about it, most peeps use a SSD for their OS and a HDD for their data drive. IF it was turned "off" your hdd would get slow(er) over time. What it does is it simply doesn't setup a schedule automatically for the SSD. It is still there and "on" so you can use it on your HDDs BUT unless you tell it specifically to DO a defreag on the SSD....it will leave the SSD alone. ;)
Quote:
wow I can honestly say that when i do a system and check defrag (i too don't completely trust MS) it has never had a schedule setup for the SSD.
^^^ This is exactly what I have found, obviously not the amount of installs Ginger has done, but has held true for 3 x W7 installs all on an SSD. Simply doesn't set-up an Auto Defrag schedule for an SSD....BUT....I always check to make sure ;)

Old April 12, 2010, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well it seems i have the worst luck then ah gonna setup another machine i got sitting here with just an ssd and see what it does.