Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7, 2010, 10:11 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Intel X25-M 80GB SSD (Gen2) Benchmark?

Hey guys.

So i ordered my first SSD from NCIX a few weeks ago and got it installed last night. First thing i did was update the firmware from 02HA to the latest firmware.

I followed all the tweaks listed to do after installing Windows 7 and this is the benchmark that i am getting with HD Tune Pro.

This doesn't seem as high as other people have gotten with the same drive. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by Evilyeti; April 8, 2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old April 8, 2010, 12:41 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Here is two screen caps from CrystalDiskMark

Old April 8, 2010, 12:56 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Found a never version of Crystal Disk Mark and i used AS SSD Benchmark tool as well.

Should my write speeds be higher? The only thing i haven't tried yet is ACHI mode because it blue screens my computer when i try to boot into Windows.
Old April 8, 2010, 07:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would definitely enable AHCI, I've had the same drive for about 6 months. Though I notice my write speeds look a little funny Did you make the necessary registry changes to enable AHCI? That has to be done in windows before you can enable in BIOS.
Attached Images

Old April 8, 2010, 07:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Write speeds were with a different test size than yours. Reran the test to compare.
If it helps here's a quick guide to enable ahci after OS is already installed:

" 1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesM sahci
5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
Attached Images

Old April 8, 2010, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

have you tried the 9.6 drivers from intel they work great so far *RAID: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Intel Desktop Boards
Old April 8, 2010, 08:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
have you tried the 9.6 drivers from intel they work great so far *RAID: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Intel Desktop Boards
Semi-Noobish question... but only useful if running raid aren't they? OP has single SSD I think.
Old April 8, 2010, 09:11 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The new Intel RST drivers can pass the TRIM command, much like MSAHCI drivers can (and some peeps have gotten a moderate boost in performance from it). Right now where the OP is not running in AHCI mode, the drive cant keep itself clean as IDE mode wont pass TRIM commands on to the SSD. The first thing I would do is run the Intel SSDToolbox and run the manual trim option. THEN rerun the benchmarks. See if they improve. IF not run the reghack, get into AHCI mode and then rerun the benchmarks. See if they improve.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 8, 2010, 09:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G777 View Post
Semi-Noobish question... but only useful if running raid aren't they? OP has single SSD I think.
no there not just for raid there just intel driver not Microsoft and i have had slight better performance with it even on my system's without raid. i would do what akg said run toolbox trim then reboot make sure achi is enabled if this doesn't help then try the intel drivers.

Last edited by gingerbee; April 8, 2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old April 8, 2010, 09:32 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
no there not just for raid there just intel driver not Microsoft and i have had slight better performance with it even on my system's without raid. i would do what akg said run toolbox trim then reboot make sure achi is enabled if this doesn't help then try the intel drivers.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clarification