Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   2.5'' to 3.5'' Tray, Hot-Swap Backplane (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/30685-2-5-3-5-tray-hot-swap-backplane.html)

CMetaphor April 6, 2010 07:14 AM

2.5'' to 3.5'' Tray, Hot-Swap Backplane

Hello storage gurus! A quick question for you guys:
Eventually I'll have to hop in the SSD bandwagon, and when I do I want to make sure that my SSDs will slide neatly into place in my cases Sata hotswap backplane. Can anyone suggest a good tray or adapter that will make this quick and painless? It also needs to use the standard 3.5'' holes so that the quick rails still fit. Thanks in advance everyone! :thumb:

MrDiaz April 6, 2010 07:20 AM

Silverstone: NCIX.com - Buy Silverstone SDP08 2.5IN to 3.5IN Converter Drive Bay Adapter - Holds 2X 2.5IN SSD or Regular HDD - SDP08 In Canada.

OCZ: NCIX.com - Buy OCZ OCZACSSDBRKT2 2.5IN to 3.5IN Converter Drive Bay Adapter - Holds 1X 2.5IN SSD or Notebook HDD - OCZACSSDBRKT2 In Canada.

CMetaphor April 6, 2010 07:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestions MrDiaz, but i think you skipped the "backplane" part :haha:
The first will not work, but the second... I can't find a review that specifically says "works will a standard 3.5'' hotswap bay" or similar.

MrDiaz April 6, 2010 07:31 AM

Quote:

Fits in Standard 3.5" desktop dock bays
Same size as hotswap bays no? Which case you trying to fit it in?

CMetaphor April 6, 2010 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDiaz (Post 359354)
Same size as hotswap bays no? Which case you trying to fit it in?

Lian-Li X2000.
Lian Li Industrial Co., Ltd.

"Fits in desktop dock bays" could just mean that it fits where any 3.5'' with a quick release or rails will fit, it doesn't specify aligning a 2.5'' a little "right" to make it compatible with a hotswap backplane. Most 2.5 to 3.5s I've seen just put the SSD smack in the middle, which isn't the "a little right" that it needs to be to fit.

ilya April 6, 2010 10:44 AM

I think he's looking for something like these:
NCIX.com - Buy Addonics Dual SNAP-IN 1X3.5IN Bay to 2X2.5IN Drive Adapter - 2 Independent Hot Swap Drive Drawers - AE25SNAP2SA In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy Addonics 1X5.25 Bay to 4X2.5IN Drive Adapter - 4 Independent Hot Swap Drive Drawers W/ Switch - AE4RCS25NSA-A In Canada.
They're incredibly pricey though.

CMetaphor April 6, 2010 10:52 AM

Also, not correct.

I have a sata backplane already... see the pictures in the Lian-Li website link in my previous reply.
Therefore i need an adapter or tray that converts a single 2.5'' SSD to a single 3.5'' size, including the slight "shift" to one side to allow the connectors to line up properly.

Please guys, if you have no idea don't post back... :blarg: Im not looking for a "whatever" adapter to stick 2 or more SSDs in the place of a single hard drive...

ilya April 6, 2010 01:05 PM

Which means MrDiaz already answered your question.
YouTube - OCZ OCZACSSDBRKT2 2.5" to 3.5" Converter Drive Bay Adapter Unboxing & First Look Linus Tech Tips
Linus Tech tips video on the OCZ adapter.

StockClocker April 12, 2010 02:33 AM

I'm actually in a similar predicament and was hopeful the OCZ adapter would be a cheap solution. However, it lacks the bottom 3.5" mounting holes so it may or may not work with your drive rails. This is should definitely work though, albeit at 2-3 times the cost:
Newegg.ca - ICY DOCK MB882SP-1S-2B SSD & SATA Hard Drive Converter - HDD Accessories

lcdguy April 16, 2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilya (Post 359505)
Which means MrDiaz already answered your question.
YouTube - OCZ OCZACSSDBRKT2 2.5" to 3.5" Converter Drive Bay Adapter Unboxing & First Look Linus Tech Tips
Linus Tech tips video on the OCZ adapter.

I have that adapter. It does not line up properly for 2.5" drives on my fileserver so chanes are it won't work. I haven't tried the ones included with the intel retail packaged drives. (i can try it tonight). Also you might want to consder getting like a purpose built 2.5" backplane thing from supermicro or startech. While it may cost more it would be easier then trying to find the right sized adapter. Or since this is a computer enthusiast site you could try to build one as they are just bent sheet metal.