Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2010, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default SSD for my notebook

I want to buy a SSD for my notebook. I've been looking some 60GB SSD. I want to know which one of those are the best (include warranty, costumer service and firmware support).

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...r&promoid=1219

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...n&promoid=1219

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...r&promoid=1219
Old April 5, 2010, 04:12 AM
Top Prospect

I'm looking at the same Kingston. The only thing holding me back is knowing it uses the JMicron JMF618 controller (legitreviews)
Old April 5, 2010, 04:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The reactor series you're looking at looks good, and come with a great price right now. Both of those have trim out of the box. The kingston your looking at is the second generation. Because they are all so close in price I'd say go for the Nova series, I think they are considered a more midranged ssd compaired to the other two which are the so-called budget class. If you don't mind spending a bit more best direct has the intels on sale right now for 229.99

Buy Intel [SSDSA2MH080G2C1] Intel X25-M 80GB 34NM Postville 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive
Old April 5, 2010, 04:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

1- Corsair V
2- Corsair R
3- Kingston SSDnow.

Right now, Corsair offers 2 years warranty. Kingston is 3 years.
The Corsair V is faster than the R ( they support TRIM right off the bat), but their firmware won't be upgraded.

That Kingston is based on Jmicron controller, it's not as bad as the old ones, but not as fast as the 2 above.

If you want a good Kingston, look at the V+, it's a lot better.
I couldn't find a Kingston forum tho. Don't know about firmware updates.

60GB is a little small for a laptop isn't it? Well, depends of your use for it. I travel with my laptop, got all my music and a lot of movies on it. For me 60GB is too small for a laptop. Unless you own an external drive that you carry around?
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old April 5, 2010, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Maybe his Notebook has 2 Drives...

Definitely if you can afford it go with the Intel 80GB....
Old April 5, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

On a second thought, it's true a 60GB is too small for a notebook and my notebook can only take one drive. I guess I wait for some 120GB to drop in the 200$ range. Thanks for the advise anyways.
Old April 6, 2010, 06:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
1- Corsair V
2- Corsair R
3- Kingston SSDnow.

Right now, Corsair offers 2 years warranty. Kingston is 3 years.
The Corsair V is faster than the R ( they support TRIM right off the bat), but their firmware won't be upgraded.

That Kingston is based on Jmicron controller, it's not as bad as the old ones, but not as fast as the 2 above.

If you want a good Kingston, look at the V+, it's a lot better.
I couldn't find a Kingston forum tho. Don't know about firmware updates.

60GB is a little small for a laptop isn't it? Well, depends of your use for it. I travel with my laptop, got all my music and a lot of movies on it. For me 60GB is too small for a laptop. Unless you own an external drive that you carry around?
I have a question. The Corsair V has an Indilinx Barefoot controller ? How come firmware isn't updated then?

Does Corsair determine what firmware it uses or Indilinx? If it was Indilinx, wouldn't they be able to have a similar firmware to say, another Indilinx-based device? Or is the hardware so different or varied enough, that they couldn't just apply similar firmware?

Does a lack of firmware updates or an EOL firmware mean the drive won't have any opportunity or option of performance improvement? Or maybe new firmware wouldn't optimize much anyway (unless, the drive was really lacking at some things - like the Kingston V+?)?

Lastly, is there any theory why Corsair/Indilinx are not having firmware updates for the V?
Old April 6, 2010, 07:15 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The Nova is a Barefoot "eco" variant. It is the EXACT same drive as the GSkill Falcon 2. It could be updated easily....but Corsair stated publicly in their forum that it and the Reactor would NOT be getting updates. It does ship with basically 1.5 / 1916 firmware as it has TRIM and ITGC. i.e. The latest firmware.

I truly doubt there is going to be many (if any) firmware updates coming down the pipe for the barefoot as they switch more and more resources to the JetStream controller R&D.

The best theory I heard was so it was easy to differentiate it from the X series....which is also a Indi Barefooot ssd. BUT Corsair has not stated publicly what their reasoning is...just that that is the way it is going to be. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr