Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2010, 10:32 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default X25-V 40GB or Vertex 60GB

Is the Intel X25-V 40GB a good choice for a boot drive compared OCZ Vertex 60GB?
I know the read and write times are much lower on the Intel but how about I/O times on the drives?
I don’t need 60GB for boot as my current Win7 install and programs are 27GB so 40GB is fine.
If the difference between the 2 drives are not that much I could get the Intel for $70 less, will the Vertex 60GB be that much faster to notice in everyday use (boot times, lunching apps...).

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by TopDogZero; April 4, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old April 5, 2010, 05:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Anyone?
Old April 5, 2010, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You won't notice too too much in speed for real world tasks, so either would work. Both have TRIM so they will maintain healthy speeds. Personally, if I were to buy one, I would get the Vertex, just for that extra 20GB as I think 40GB for a main drive is too small, considering I install EVERY program on my main drive.
Old April 5, 2010, 07:21 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks bo I might go for the Intel then since the extra space is really a mute issue for me, my boot drives have always been lean less the 30GB of stuff .
Old April 6, 2010, 06:16 AM
Banned

I would go for the Intel, too. It's only a bit more than the Vertex and has more speed/better performance. Another plus is another 20GB of disk space. Even if it's just a boot drive which is what it would be for me, it gives a lot of room for programs and no worries of running out of disk space.

I already ran out of disk space on a 20GB XP partition and although there are some files that don't need to be there, the way Windows wants to install anything on 'C drive', I think the 80GB drive would solve disk space issues easily. I think the 40GB drive is okay but I'd rather have extra disk space than cut it close. When you format those drives, what are you left with? That has to factor into it, too, maybe?
Old April 6, 2010, 06:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I thought the Intel's speeds were pretty low though? It's a value class drive after all where as the Vertex is more mid-high.
Old April 6, 2010, 07:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes but it is 40mb/write no matter the files size.
Old April 6, 2010, 07:46 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Id get the Intel V. The Vertex 60gb's make very good OS drives. BUT a V is still a better option for most. As long as you dont care about game load times the 40mb/s speed of the V will make for a much snappier feeling system as the Vertex 60s are (at best) in the low teens in 4k r/w speed

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr