Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2010, 07:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default General SSD questsion

I have in my possession an intel 80GB 34NM Postville ssd and a OCZ Vertex 60GB ssd. I'm going to put one in my laptop and on in my main rig. My PC is what I use most often so I want the best of the two in that, I assume it's the intel one, if not please someone set me straight.

I also have an old Kingston SSD, that I'm going to put in my fiance's laptop. I heard that you can clear these drives to restore some speed, I was wondering how, or what program to use. Any help is appreciated!
Old April 4, 2010, 07:32 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup you got it right. The Vertex 60GB is a decent drive....but it is a less than optimal choice when compared to the X25m gen2 (an argument can be made on the 120GB version vs X25, but the 60 is slower than the 120).

IF your old Kingston can NOT support TRIM (e.g. its a SSDNow V Gen 1 drive and is thus a JM602 controller based drive) you can use numerous different programs to bring it back to full'ish speed. Basically all you need to do is write 1s (and ONLY 1's) to all the free cells. The "1" sate is the same state as the virgin state (ie its default PREuse state or "erase" state), this basically is what TRIM command does...but automatically. The way I usually do it is via FreeSpaceCleaner w/ FF option enabled. IF you want to go "whole hog" you can add a defreag w/ consolidate free space to the mix. This one-two punch is colloquially called "Tony Trim". I find the defrag option does work slightly better...but not enough to offset the hassle factor, and is harder on the cells as what you are doing is basically a manual "Idle Time Garbage Collection" and not a "TRIM" per say.

Run the program every so often and your older SSD will stay nice and clean and fairly fast. I'd run it every couple weeks...BUT it depends on system usage. You may get away w/ fewer runs in a month...or may need to do it every week. Try it, wait a couple weeks....see if the system gets slow. I wouldn't let it go much past a month....but thats just personal preference.

Tony TRIM link so you can read more (and get FreeSpaceCleaner):
Guide A simple guide for gen1 owners( Apex, solid, core V1/V2) or raid array owners who want to consolidate free space and clean the remaining Nand on the drives. OCZ gen2 drives..Vertex, Agility, Solid2, TURBO owners with FW 1.5 you do not need this

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; April 4, 2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old April 4, 2010, 01:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Super quick answer, big thanks! I just want to make sure I got this clear. I assume with trim I don't need anyother programs to help keep my ssd in tip top conditions.