Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

annnnnnnnnnnnnnd its over gents! They have SOLD OUT!
Old April 1, 2010, 06:07 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musabi View Post
Oh, and yes, trim is now supported in raid!!
No it isn't. That was misinformation.
Old April 1, 2010, 06:18 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
No it isn't. That was misinformation.
humm ok, i thought i also read somewhere that some new driver or something enabled that?

in any case

work call, come back and there all gone. so wont be doing raid right now.

my wallet might be happier if i wait a couple weeks so i might do that, and wait till the next super deal, hopefully with a 64-80+ gig drive

My Boinc Stats
Old April 1, 2010, 06:24 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Im a firm believer in getting ONE big and fast ssd vs not raiding two smaller ones. This is personal preference only. Pros and cons to both sides of that equation. ;)

The Intel V is a faster ssd in small read and writes than the SSDNow V gen2 by a huge margin. BUT 60GB (aprx "real" space) is nearly twice as much as 37GB (aprx real space). For most first time users damn near any modern SSD (with the exception of the SOLID 2 line from OCZ and a couple others) will simply blow your mind with their speed (and the "others" will still most likely be impressive...not worth their asking price but still impressive'ish).

TRIM doesn't work with RAID right now it will work on a single SSD w/ other HDDS raided but not on raid'ed SSDs...and TBH I doubt it will until ICH 11 and/or ssd aware RAID controllers hit the marketplace, and I'd bet on 3rd party solutions passing TRIM before I would Intel for integrated controllers. Its just not worth Intel's time and resources to put into it until SSD's truly go mainstream (and I would not be surprised if they EOL the 40gb V's before they allow TRIM to be passed so as to not undercut their M line or whatever their flagship MLC drive is as that point).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 1, 2010, 07:20 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

thanks AKG, much appreciated info (me being an SSD newb )

but now thats temping me into the SSDNow V gen2 for my first SSD. althought might still wait a week or 2 befor i buy unless i find a realy dam good deal on a 64 or 80 gig drive.

My Boinc Stats
Old April 1, 2010, 08:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patramix View Post
thanks AKG, much appreciated info (me being an SSD newb )

but now thats temping me into the SSDNow V gen2 for my first SSD. althought might still wait a week or 2 befor i buy unless i find a realy dam good deal on a 64 or 80 gig drive.
As far as i know Intel released a RAID driver that supports TRIM. If someone knows for certain otherwise please provide corroberating links.

I have the 64 Gb Kingston SSD you are considering, of course being entry level it is not going to run with the more expensive top dogs obviously, i was coming off of a 500 Gb seagate and the computer is considerably snappier... all IMO. Truth be told the drive is hampered in the more oriented server style tests due to the exclusion of NCQ, which really doesn't affect much in the way of real world desktop average " daily use ". The one thing i was not really expecting was the enjoyment at the absence of hard drive chatter, a windows 7 64 bit install plus a few programs ( Itunes , Thumbsplus, etc... ) and a game ( timeshift ) so far and i've used less than 22 GB. so 38 GB left for more games and apps.
Old April 1, 2010, 08:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

From another Trim/Raid thread on this very board:

The latest: Intel® RST 9.6 will be released this week which includes TRIM support for SSDs. It will support TRIM with SSDs in an AHCI configuration, or with the RAID controller enabled and the SSD is used as a pass through device. An example of this use case is for users that want to use the SSD as a boot drive but still be able to RAID multiple HDDs together to allow for large protect data storage – a great use for the home theater PC. TRIM support for SSDs in a RAID configuration is under investigation and is not included in Intel® RST 9.6.

So it will allow TRIM on a SSD alongside a HDD RAID setup, but will not pass TRIM to a RAIDed SSD combo.
Old April 1, 2010, 09:49 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

One big SSD is the way to go if you can afford it from what I have seen.

Good price while it lasted (never jumped in because all my rigs use SSDs, and I'll never go back).
Fold for team #54196
Old April 1, 2010, 11:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
From another Trim/Raid thread on this very board:

The latest: Intel® RST 9.6 will be released this week which includes TRIM support for SSDs. It will support TRIM with SSDs in an AHCI configuration, or with the RAID controller enabled and the SSD is used as a pass through device. An example of this use case is for users that want to use the SSD as a boot drive but still be able to RAID multiple HDDs together to allow for large protect data storage – a great use for the home theater PC. TRIM support for SSDs in a RAID configuration is under investigation and is not included in Intel® RST 9.6.

So it will allow TRIM on a SSD alongside a HDD RAID setup, but will not pass TRIM to a RAIDed SSD combo.

Well thats kind of a misleading driver, thanks for clarifying that for me.
Old April 1, 2010, 11:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

No problem, I was kind of upset to read it as well. AkG can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can still manually "tony-trim" the SSDs in a RAID array, even though the OS won't do it automatically.