Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2010, 10:18 PM
MVP

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I had a quick question. Are SSD's going to bottleneck SATAII soon?
Old September 18, 2010, 10:27 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I had a quick question. Are SSD's going to bottleneck SATAII soon?
Yes. They are already starting to do so. Now that SSD manufacturers are starting to use ONFI 2.0+ capable NAND and controllers capable of using them most next generation SSDs should have no problem breaking 300MB/s read/writes. There are already rumours of Japan-based PhotoFast has a drive coming out here soon that will do 430MB/s sequential reads.

It won't be long before even SATA 6Gbps is a bottleneck for SSD's.
Old September 19, 2010, 04:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup in sequential reads they will indeed soon be able to saturate a Sata rev3 bus. Honestly though, how often will you notice this bottlenecking? Not many can tell the difference between "wow thats fast" and "OMFG its finished already fast" in real world situations. Its going to a be a longer time before the low end 4k r/w performance of the consumer SSD marketplace is able to saturate sata 2 bus and a Loooooong time before it can saturate sata 6gb/s bus. You probably wont notice 300mb/s vs 400+mb/s on the high end very often but your certainly will notice 100 vs 200 vs 400 on the low end!

TBH, Im not overly worried about these limitations as I dont think SATA is the future of SSDs. The governing boddy is too slow in adopting new stds and by the time it does hit the marketplace its darn near already too slow. We need a new interface just like we did with GPUs. Using PCI-E is a PITA for storage. We need a third option and I wouldnt be surprised if in a couple years the marketplace develops it to overcome the existing limitations (both real, theoretical and perceived)...just like AGP and then PCI-E was created....or the ATA group will get off their duffers and start working on a super SATA std (12 or 24gb/s) AND get it out within a year and half....one or the other :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr