Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old March 25, 2010, 04:20 PM
Dr_BenD_over's Avatar
Fallen Folder
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,418

My System Specs

Default

I'm thinking I'll go with the 1TB WD Black 32MB SATA2. From the looks of it the Sata3 64MB one is just an E-Penis extension.
__________________
All's well that's Haswell
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old March 27, 2010, 12:53 PM
Dr_BenD_over's Avatar
Fallen Folder
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,418

My System Specs

Default

Yay back up and running. I wonder how long it will be before I regret installing Vista, but I'd probably still be installing patches with XP.

I'll be putting XP on the drive I get back from RMA, and Win7 on my Seagate, just to cover all the bases.
__________________
All's well that's Haswell
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2010, 01:16 AM
mchutch's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Ontario
Posts: 433

My System Specs

Default

Windows 7 is the way to go, or XP if you like. Vista... eewww lol.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old March 28, 2010, 05:23 AM
b1lk1's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lindsay, Ontario
Posts: 2,501

My System Specs

Default

I wouldn't waste my dog's time with XP. Vista is far superior to that dinosaur. 7 is proving itself to me slowly and it is what I run on everything except my testing machines which will remain on Vista for some time for uniformity in results.

As for SATA 3.0 on mechanical storage, I have a Seagate 2TB SATA 3.0 drive that is as fast as a 300GB Velociraptor, but nothing Earth shattering. I am currently testing WD's 1TB SATA 3.0 drive so I will finally have a comparible drive to see if it is indeed going to be the new standard.

SATA 3.0 may have been designed for SSD's, but mechanical drives will be around for a long while still so we will see more of them built to this standard and hopefully they will start finding some meaningful gains.
__________________
MY HEATWARE
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2010, 10:37 AM
Dr_BenD_over's Avatar
Fallen Folder
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,418

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
I'm thinking I'll go with the 1TB WD Black 32MB SATA2. From the looks of it the Sata3 64MB one is just an E-Penis extension.
Hmm, this puppy is cold to the touch, the Seagate 7200.11 on the other hand is rather toasty. Oh well, hope it can handle Win7 Pro.
__________________
All's well that's Haswell
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2010, 12:17 PM
0o0 0o0 is offline
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto ON
Posts: 855

My System Specs

Default

How about resale value in a year or so, would the sata3 version be worth more on the market or would it be something like $5 difference?
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2010, 01:07 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
How about resale value in a year or so, would the sata3 version be worth more on the market or would it be something like $5 difference?
I don't think anyone can really say, but there shouldn't be any difference in resale value since there is no performance difference between the two.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2010, 01:29 PM
0o0 0o0 is offline
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto ON
Posts: 855

My System Specs

Default

I had the 8800/9800gt scenario in mind, and the 9800gt is the same thing in terms of performance but is a lot harder to sell now that it's the previous generation. I'm just saying that the 32mb version may be more difficult to sell when all the drives are 64mb. The pro's to buying the 32mb version for me is that it's from ncix so the warranty is better, I save the pst and their hardware is kept in better environments. They should also have tler (need confirmation on this as wd has disabled on some drives), so it would be suitable for raid 1 (also need confirmation if raid 0 really needs tler, there's some controversial information on the interwebz). The 64mb is from bewawa, I just don't think their warehouse environment is very good.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old April 26, 2010, 04:33 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
I had the 8800/9800gt scenario in mind, and the 9800gt is the same thing in terms of performance but is a lot harder to sell now that it's the previous generation. I'm just saying that the 32mb version may be more difficult to sell when all the drives are 64mb. The pro's to buying the 32mb version for me is that it's from ncix so the warranty is better, I save the pst and their hardware is kept in better environments. They should also have tler (need confirmation on this as wd has disabled on some drives), so it would be suitable for raid 1 (also need confirmation if raid 0 really needs tler, there's some controversial information on the interwebz). The 64mb is from bewawa, I just don't think their warehouse environment is very good.
I was never made aware of any warehouse concerns regarding bewawa, or of higher DOA hardware coming from them either. Then again, I barely knew they existed until 2-3 weeks ago when they decided to have that HDD sales.

Anyhow, I'd say if you want the latest gadgets, go for the 6gbps version and sleep at night knowing you're living on the edge (hm, lol). If you're after a really budget drive, then grab a 2tb green for 10$ more and be happy about the capacity per $ value. The performance bottleneck of your hdd is not in the SATA connection but rather in the mechanical device itself.

Now if you were asking about 6gbps ssd's like those new sandforce controllers, it would be an entirely different argument.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old April 28, 2010, 01:01 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 735
Default

I wouldn't buy an older 1TB WD Black. I forget the model name. It has three platters, I think, instead of two. It's the older style one and it has higher power consumption and heat. Just my own perspective as I'm sure there's people who would argue (with me) on that.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[WTB] SATAII Hard drive + DDR ram clone63 Buy/Sell & Trade 1 September 28, 2009 10:56 PM
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 160GB SATAII Mr. Gruntsworthy Storage 2 October 15, 2008 07:50 PM
G.Skill 64GB SATAII SSD Review Comments bojangles Storage 6 June 28, 2008 03:57 PM