Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2010, 03:36 AM
Top Prospect

Default Just got an Intel 40GB SSD. Some questions to ask.

So I just got this SSD and installed it. Performance seems pretty good. However, I'm wondering if I should install that Into SSD optimizer utility? I think I read somewhere with that tool then I can manually trim the drive. I have Windows 7 Professional installed on the SSD. How often does the OS automatically trim the drive? If I do install the utility, can I use it like as if I were to defrag a HDD? Using TRIM won't affect the data on the drive right?

I also remember reading somewhere that with W7 installed, then the defragmentation option would be disabled for the SSD, but yet the option to defrag is still there. Why is that the case? Obviously I won't defrag an SSD, but I thought it was kind of peculiar.

In terms of reformatting an SSD, is it the same as before when I had an HDD where I boot W7 from the disc, format and delete the old partition and reinstall W7? Or I need to somehow wipe off all data on the SSD before I pursue a reformat? The reason why I ask is because I read somewhere how SSD handles and delete data differently from a HDD.
Old March 22, 2010, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you can just reformat it then go just make sure you have ahci enabled in bios and trim will work for 7. because no os preps it self right yet you still have to tweak it in my opinion.
you have too threads about the same thing here When to use Trim?
Old March 22, 2010, 06:07 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Win 7 will properly align (or atleast SHOULD) properly align the drive so there is no need for reformating and using diskpar, the installers built in formatter works well without the need for pre installation tweaks. This was important with XP and Vista pre SP1 as they used a 63 offset instead of 64. A SSD is setup into physical 4k blocks of data. So what happens if the partition is not aligned is it needs to use extra blocks. This reduces performance and can put a drive into a degraded state faster (this was also before the advent of trim).

IF you are using AHCI mode then win 7 will pass the trim command along to your ssd (when you delete a file for example) and the ssd will not only delete but also CLEAN any cells which now have invalid data in them. Id still install the toolbox. No real down side. Now IF you were setup in IDE and dont want to do the ahci tweak then yeah you will need the toolbox as it has a manual trim option. Intels idle time garbage collection is less than what you would call efficient. You need TRIM (either auto or manual) or the drive's speed will degrade over time.

Defrag should be off BUT it is still installed. This kind of makes sense as you most likely will have other drives installed along with the SSD and you will need to defrag them. As long as it is does NOT have a schedule setup to auto defrag, it doesnt matter.

IF you want to get all the performance from your drive there are still some performance tweaks you need to do. BUT trim is the biggest of them all. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; March 22, 2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old March 22, 2010, 10:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Win 7 will properly align (or atleast SHOULD) properly align the drive so there is no need for reformating and using diskpar, the installers built in formatter works well without the need for pre installation tweaks. This was important with XP and Vista pre SP1 as they used a 63 offset instead of 64. A SSD is setup into physical 4k blocks of data. So what happens if the partition is not aligned is it needs to use extra blocks. This reduces performance and can put a drive into a degraded state faster (this was also before the advent of trim).

IF you are using AHCI mode then win 7 will pass the trim command along to your ssd (when you delete a file for example) and the ssd will not only delete but also CLEAN any cells which now have invalid data in them. Id still install the toolbox. No real down side. Now IF you were setup in IDE and dont want to do the ahci tweak then yeah you will need the toolbox as it has a manual trim option. Intels idle time garbage collection is less than what you would call efficient. You need TRIM (either auto or manual) or the drive's speed will degrade over time.

Defrag should be off BUT it is still installed. This kind of makes sense as you most likely will have other drives installed along with the SSD and you will need to defrag them. As long as it is does NOT have a schedule setup to auto defrag, it doesnt matter.

IF you want to get all the performance from your drive there are still some performance tweaks you need to do. BUT trim is the biggest of them all. :)
Makes sense because I also have a 2TB HDD installed cuz my SSD is too small. However, is it necessary for me to go and disable the defrag schedule? Is Windows 7 smart enough not to defrag the SSD even if the auto defrag feature is turned on?

What are the options like when you install W7 on your SSD?

I think I have AHCI enabled. How can I make sure that it is indeed on so that I know TRIM has been activated.

Has any harm been done the first time around when I installed W7P on the SSD under IDE mode? Once I realized that I goofed up, I went back to enable AHCI, format the SSD, and then reinstalled W7P.

If I had kept installed W7P under IDE mode, then TRIM won't be activated right? So over time I should expect performance degradation?
Old March 24, 2010, 08:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IF there is a defrag schedule setup for the C drive...then YES disable it. i truly doubt there is one as win 7 installer is usually on the ball for that (or atleast has with my builds).

The options are all done for you. It should look just like a normal install. BUT during the install win7 queries the rpm of the drive and if it returns 0....it knows its a SSD and enables the minor tweaks MS has implemented. As with any MS gen 1 "idea" you still need to make sure it got it right and DID in fact turn off defrag. THEN go and do the win 7 tweaks.

To check and see IF windows is passing the trim command run via cmd dos window (as admin) "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" IF it comes back as 0 windows is sending the trim command. If 1 its not.
This plus MS AHCI driver (or intel's latest which does NOT ship with the windows dvd) = trim being passed to the SSD.

There is no real "harm" as such by not running in AHCI, just that your ssd's performance will degrade over time as it runs out of free virgin state cells. TRIM is what keeps the cell from going into a degraded state after they are used and the info is deleted. But yeah AHCI is what you want to be running. OR run the manual SSD optimizer in the toolbox to run a manual trim (think of it as intels version of wiper.exe for Indilinx drives). It also works....but why bother when AHCI will do it all for you. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 14, 2010, 01:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry to revive an older thread, but I figured it was better than starting a new one just to get confirmation......

If I understand this correctly... under XP 32 (folding farm so that's still the way to go.... ;) ), there's a tool in the intel toolbox that will "trim", but I need to run it periodically on my own? Looked for AHCI enable settings in my bios, and the only option I see is for raid setup....

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP