Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2010, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Two OCZ Vertex 30GB in RAID 0 or X25-M

Right now I have two OCZ 30GB Vertex SSDs in RAID 0, but am thinking of selling the two, and getting an X25-M.

Is a single X25-M faster? I heard/ read that one X25-M is about the same as two 30BG Vertexs' in RAID 0. Also, the X25-M uses TRIM. And I get an extra 20GB of space. Is it worth making the change?
Old March 21, 2010, 09:15 PM

TRIM now works in RAID. New Intel driver.

You'll probably need to do some tweaking unless you want to reformat, but since you'd need to reformat for a new drive anyway...

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old March 21, 2010, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Im just thinking that if one drive (X25-M) is as good as both my Vertexs', I might as well just get a single SSD and not double my chances of loosing my data.
Old March 21, 2010, 11:56 PM

My System Specs

I'd definitely take the extra 20GB of space over the very small gains that RAID might provide.
Old March 22, 2010, 04:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

but is it worth the upgrade no. unless you just want a 25m ssd because vertex support trim too just like the 25m does even in raid0 with intel 9.6 drivers. jmo
Old March 22, 2010, 04:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

TBH, I'd use the new intel raid drivers and hold on to what you got for a while. Unless you NEED more space dropping cash on minor to moderate upgrade isnt a great deal. Wait awhile and see what comes out, then when you will not only get a size but also performance boost....THEN upgrade to a new drive. Now with all that said IF you have a buyer lined up and it wont cost you anything but TIME to upgrade then why not. Not much down side then, but only if it was just costing time.

YMMV :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 22, 2010, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

I could sell both of them and pay a little more for a new X25-M (80GB). The bottom line is: What is going to be quicker in the end?
Old March 22, 2010, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i tried running just one gskill it was almost just as fast only noticed it a tiny bit and i mean a tiny bit ( but i am a raid whore )
Old April 12, 2010, 08:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

UPDATE: Wasn't it pointed out that this new driver doesn't allow raided SSDs to have TRIM, but TRIM can be used in RAIDED HDDs or something on those lines? I am not 100% sure what I remember, but it was something about this TRIM thing and SSDs being taken the wrong way.

If this is correct, should I swap two Vertex 30s for an X25-M 80GB?
Old April 12, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes what they said is that you can run an ssd as your os or boot drive well still having a data raid setup so that the raid intel south bridge passes on the trim command to the ssd. where before it did not. so if you want to have trim it means no raid0 so go with a intel.