Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2010, 08:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default just a little hdtune with the new intel 9.6

well last night it was higher but this morning it's a little lower but here ya go. will do one later in the week too.
pic1. intel 8.9 pic2 9.6
Attached Images

Old March 21, 2010, 01:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

This might be a naive question but what ssd's are you raiding?
Old March 21, 2010, 02:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

these ones here are A-Data s592 32gb x 2. no such thing as naive/dumb question the day i think i know everything is the day i need hit in the head
Old March 22, 2010, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok well here is the gkill falcons in raid0 on intel 9.6raid/trim before I cloned it over (pic1) and after cloning (pic2) i ran wiper before i did the clone. just to let people know too acronis does a perfect clone. done it many times in the last 3 months on many system's.
Attached Images

Old March 23, 2010, 05:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

gingerbee you're the SSD man! How do you think two of theKingston SSDNow V Series Gen II 64GB would perform in a Raid0. Also is the ability to Trim an update to the Intel software for Raid set? or to the hard drives themselves?
Old March 23, 2010, 06:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok well first the ssd man is really akg but thanks. second the ssd must support trim then you just need to run the intel 9.6 drivers for raid or even just run 1 ssd on ahci so that your sure trim works. How To Make Sure Trim is Enabled in Windows 7 : Operating Systems
For your last question i am not sure what controller they are but they support trim and after looking at the price i would still spend a little more and get some vertex on sale there around 200$. Kingston Boosts Speed, Adds TRIM Support to Entry-Level SSDs | Hardware Canucks
Maybe akg can give some more info on these ( more or less he's take on them one of the best reviewers for period tells it the way it is even if it's down right bad gotta like that.) and here's mine to confirm trim works in raid weeee.
Attached Images

Last edited by gingerbee; March 23, 2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old March 26, 2010, 06:22 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

There are a few threads around but I would like to just make sure....

Is Trim truly passed along to a Raid array with these drivers?
Fold for team #54196
Old March 26, 2010, 06:36 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri5cui7 View Post
gingerbee you're the SSD man! How do you think two of theKingston SSDNow V Series Gen II 64GB would perform in a Raid0. Also is the ability to Trim an update to the Intel software for Raid set? or to the hard drives themselves?
The V gen 2's are JM618s. Which are basically a chip designed by JMicron but for Toshiba and fabbed by Toshiba (think of them as improved/tweaked JM612s). They have TRIM and from what Ive seen a very aggressive ITGC built into the firmware. BUT they are still lacking in the small r/w speed arena when compared to Indilinx. Which is the most important factor in how fast a system will "feel".

All in all the V's are decent kit, nothing great but decent. In raid 0 you will get decent performance, but then again I'm not really a fan of Raid'ing SSDs. I prefer to have one biggest, fastest SSD I can afford, rather then two smaller ones. IMHO I'd hold off and get a Indi Barefoot (full speed like Falcon 1, or even mid tier like a Corsair Nova or GSkill Flacon 2), Intel X25m gen 2, or maybe even the V+.

The V+ is a Toshiba controller and it has such great potential it aint even funny. Reminds a lot of the Indilinx Barefoot when that beast first landed in that it has the potential but the firmware needs some serious work to reach that potential (and yes that is a sneak peak) ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
There are a few threads around but I would like to just make sure....

Is Trim truly passed along to a Raid array with these drivers?

Looks like the offical words is it DONT pass along TRIM to raid'ed SSDs. From Intel forum:
Hello Rob,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

I have confirmed that TRIM is not supported for SSDs that are part of a RAID configuration. It is supported in AHCI mode and for pass-through drives (drives that are not part of a RAID config). At this time our development teams are not working on solutions that would offer TRIM for SSDs that are part of a RAID configuration.

The information available on the Help Menu is incorrect. This has been escalated already and will be corrected shortly.

More information about what the driver supports regarding TRIM is available here:
http://www.intel.com/support/chipset.../CS-022304.htm

For your convenience, the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager offers Top Technical Issues and FAQs at this link:
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) - Intel® Rapid Storage Technology support
Which includes the latest technical articles, FAQs, and support information for this product.

Sincerely,

Allan J.
Intel Technical Support

Does TRIM really work with SSD's in...

Easy way to tell for sure....is run CDM, record the results then run IOM on the full free space of a Raid'ed set (any settings just make sure its set for 10min or so per test)....then RErun CDM. See what the results are like before and after. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; March 26, 2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old March 26, 2010, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i did a fresh install the other day and that normally makes it fairly low. and i did a bench today and it's high really high so i am not complaining any which way.
Old March 26, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Oh yeah. NO complaints. Speed is good. More speed is MORE good! :)

Hopefully Adata will get their heads out their arses soon and release 1916 for their S592s. 2nd gen ITGC + TRIM FTW! Then it wont matter if the trim commands get passed through or not :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr