Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2010, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Solved!!!!!

Hi!
Now that I received my Vertex 120GB from NCIX ($299 after MIR deal), I installed it (it runs the latest firmware 1.5 from the factory!).
It was my first windows 7 install and my first try at a 64 bits OS on my desktop.

I did everything I could to make it go flawless.
Anyway, sometimes I get a hang right after the Windows startup screen. It freezes at the first screen, right before the taskbar shows up.

What I did:
-Set BIOS to ACHI
-Plug SSD in SATA 1 (ICH10) on P5Qpro
-Plug optical in SATA 6
-reset my overclock for the install.
-I did read a LOT on SSDs and tweaks before the install.
-I tweaked the SSD by disabling a few things, as per OCZ forum's recommendations.

Ran windows. It took a LONG time to install.

I got the freeze everytime I rebooted after installing any kind of security software (always at the same moment). I tried my ISP provided one (win7 64 compatible), then I tried Avast!, then finally Windows security thingy.

Anyway, the freeze doesn't happen everytime now, but I suspected my Audigy 2 ZS (even with latest win7 drivers)...I took it out and enabled onboard audio.

Then I suspected my overclock...I increased the Vcore a little bit, seems a little better. Is it even possible that my overclock could be causing a hang in Win7 64 after a year of rock-solid stability in Win XP pro 32bits???

I'm a little loss here. Is it the SSD or something else that causes that freeze? Win7 itself?
My RAM? My Gskill ram DDR2-1000 runs at 2.1v @ 900mhz, seen as 2 X 2GB in Windows.

Any idea so I can redirect this thread where it belongs?
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old March 18, 2010, 04:43 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Then I suspected my overclock...I increased the Vcore a little bit, seems a little better. Is it even possible that my overclock could be causing a hang in Win7 64 after a year of rock-solid stability in Win XP pro 32bits???

you don't install an OS with an OC ... reset the bios
Old March 18, 2010, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i can tell you that there have been rare cases of people on the gskill forums running the sale firmware had a big 10 to 15 seconds where the system would freeze.
and if your OC is stable installing an os with it OCed is fine i have done it so many times i lost count but you must be sure it's stable @ markone maybe you should have said you wouldn't have done it but a lot of other do it all the time this is a matter of opinion. which is silly if your system is stable it's stable period.
'
Old March 18, 2010, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Mark one, like mentioned in my original post,

Quote:
Set BIOS to ACHI
-Plug optical in SATA 6
-I tweaked the SSD by disabling a few things, as per OCZ forum's recommendations.
I did run the install at stock clocks.
But I now use AHCI, a new 64 bits OS, a SSD, so a lot of new things to consider as being one of the "possible" cause. So I'm puzzled.
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old March 18, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well the os and and ahci, either these work or they don't period so i would check the ssd.
Old March 18, 2010, 07:54 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Mark one, like mentioned in my original post,

I did run the install at stock clocks.
But I now use AHCI, a new 64 bits OS, a SSD, so a lot of new things to consider as being one of the "possible" cause. So I'm puzzled.

don't blame me guy ....you are very confusing in the way you explain, why you will rise the volts of your OC if you are on stock...

Quote:
Hi!
Now that I received my Vertex 120GB from NCIX ($299 after MIR deal), I installed it (it runs the latest firmware 1.5 from the factory!).

What I did:
-Set BIOS to ACHI
-Plug optical in SATA 6

Ran windows. It took a LONG time to install.

?
Old March 18, 2010, 08:05 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
@ markone maybe you should have said you wouldn't have done it but a lot of other do it all the time this is a matter of opinion. which is silly if your system is stable it's stable period.
'
I stick on it you don't install an OS on an OC... if it's only for remove it as problem

and for the Audigy... I always install them after the OS is done, and all other drivers are update.

The Op play with to much thing.. like by exemple he remove the Audigy to install the onboard sound card.. 3 differents anti-virus.

he should reset the board...remove the add on card. disable the on board sound card if he plan to reinstall the audigy later, and redo a fresh install. and make sure those ram are at stock voltage too.

And try to put the dvd on the other controller too.
Old March 18, 2010, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
I stick on it you don't install an OS on an OC... if it's only for remove it as problem
well once again this is your opinion overclocking does not effect the data if your system is stable it's stable. and you yourself know that you don't have to install on os to an hdd/ssd for an overclock.
Old March 18, 2010, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

. just work everything backwards
Old March 18, 2010, 08:25 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
well once again this is your opinion overclocking does not effect the data if your system is stable it's stable. and you yourself know that you don't have to install on os to an hdd/ssd for an overclock.

my opinion is base on this : you always give yourself the best chances when you do something. so you eliminate things that can create problem, and when you make trouble shooting, you change only 1 parameters at the time.

for the OC. the facts the Oc was stable on XP don't means it will be on 7, especially if the drivers are not install, so you install the OS the drivers you update the Window and after you OC.