Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

and if your pushing your overclocking to the point that os stability is effected then this is not a daily use computer
( i have never wanted or needed an oc so high that i could not keep it stable with any OS) 1 thing at a time is just common sense but starting with the parts changed is normally a good start. jmo
os effecting overclocks is not the most common thing in my experience does it happen of course but the only real difference i have found is x32 x64 so markone may be on to something because you did go to a x64 ( i have run x64 so long i don't see why they offer an x32 at all anymore )
Old March 19, 2010, 04:28 AM
Banned
F@H

Ginger I don't say OC is the cause of is problem... I say to not install the OS on an OC rigs for elliminate source of problem.

the problem look to have came after he try an Anti virus from an ISP, and same with the other he try after, I will not be surprise the problem is with the first one he try, even un install they can live something, I will redo a fresh install , with no sound card , no printer, no web cam... a bare computer to see. and just install the Microsoft Security Essential.
Old March 19, 2010, 04:52 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What I personally would do is:
a) check the firmware. make sure it is up to date if it is run Crystal DiskMark. see what the numers are. write them down. then....

b) yank the ssd and install in another system.. run some quick benches on it. see what the performance is like. IF the numbers are lower than the other system, run wiper or a sanitary erase or AS-Clean w/ ff option. clean the cells. rerun Crystal DiskMark. See what the numbers are like are they basically the same or better? If they are good and stayed good... Its probably not the SSD, but an OS issue. Either way reinstall the ssd and then.....

c) nuke the install. reinstall the OS. then run wiper to clean the cells OR (my personal fav.....let the system idle for a few hours so ITGC can work its magic!). then install programs and accessories do it one step at a time. OS and basic files (gpu drives etc) then sound card, then anti-vir, then....etc etc. Run a CDM in between each step to see if the numbers go down (install with basics then wiper THEN CDM, then install something, then cdm, then install then cdm etc etc etc).

To be honest it sounds like a combo of a SSD in a degraded state + a software issue. Probably an overly aggressive antivirus prog, hoggin' ALL the resources. Please install with no OC. Its most likely NOT the culprit...but it does muddy the waters. Stock is for troubleshooting. OCing is for when the sys is stable and fast. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 19, 2010, 05:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i see your guys points and saying is it would be a little weird if it started to act up because of the oc markone and yes i understand by turning it down to eliminate it as a cause of the problems. but this sounds like what akg has said and if you don't know how to remove everything from an uninstall even outta the reg not that hard. but i would follow akg steps because i think it's just a dirty ssd or problems with the FW. jm2cents and i want change.
Old March 19, 2010, 05:22 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've got the same board and my overclock was rock stable until I added a Vertex SSD and then I got instability. It turns out these SSDs can make a overclock that is 99.9% stable become unstable. Tweak your settings.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old March 19, 2010, 05:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i have never heard of an hdd/ssd messingup with your overclock. I would tend to think your OC was not as stable as you thought ( guys the only thin it would effect would be the SB so up your voltage a little to your SB if you have problem.) I have installed 5 ssd's in the last week on overclocked machines with not one hitch 4 machines 5 ssd's 1 machine is running raid but so far not 1 call or complaint about them mind you the last one left my house 2 days ago. all the os's where copy over using acronis true disk it does the line up right as long as it's done right in the first place
fyi 2 intel 40gb raid setup
adn the other 3 where vertex that where on sale last week.
Old March 19, 2010, 08:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Mark-one, you might be right when you talk about confusing sentences, I might have worded my thought wrongly.
I'm still working on polishing my English skills.
Keep in mind I was (and still am) a Windows 7 noob, and a 64bits noob also...no shame in stating this.
Yes I worked on many fronts, because I was getting weird results. I never had system freeze from OCing before (especially something that happens at the very same moment everytime), I always seen either "boot failiure" or benchmarking fails caused by high temps or failing tests. It was freezing at the very same spot.

I second-guessed my sound card as there was quite a few issues with the Audigy2 (oldie) and Win7 on some forums.

I second-guessed my ISP-provided security suite because it only started to support Win7 64 bits two weeks ago. And on top of that, I was rebooting after uninstalling it and everything was fine. Then I figured that all three security suite I tried were behaving the same.

Then I suspected my OC. I increased the Vcore just a tad and the system rebooted just fine...

Anyway, to make a long story short, My Stable OC in Win XP Pro 32 bits (3825mhz) is not in Win 7 64bits. I resetted all OC settings in BIOS and went from there.
An easy fix was to set the FSB to 425mhz, that gives me 3.6 on my Q9550. I don't need much Vcore for that, something like 1.264V. Ram at 1:1.

As for testing the SSD, this is what I got. I modded multiple settings to tweak Win7 for SSD usage as a boot drive, as stated on OCZ's forum. I made sure TRIM is enabled and stuff.

--------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : Crystal Dew World
--------------------------------------------------

Sequential Read : 252.385 MB/s
Sequential Write : 172.804 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 183.809 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 170.889 MB/s
Random Read 4KB : 32.038 MB/s
Random Write 4KB : 9.954 MB/s

Test Size : 500 MB
Date : 2010/03/19 11:43:33
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old March 19, 2010, 10:03 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
I second-guessed my sound card
I second-guessed my ISP-provided security

I will gues also the ISP, is it sympatico.. ? their install thing more than ofhen crash
what is your first language...
Old March 19, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

I'm French, from the Belle-Province lol!

My ISP is Videotron, but I think that both Videotron and Sympatico are using the same software. Freedom I think it's called. Videotron has a padlock foran Icon and Sympatico is a safe. Still, I think it comes with the same source (Radialpoint?). It's not that great, but I never had an issue before, and it's good for up to three computers for $5/month.

I'm now using Microsoft's windows security essentials behind a DI-604 wired router.

AKG, could you MOD this topic so the title shows something like SOLVED or something PLZ?
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old March 19, 2010, 10:53 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
I'm French, from the Belle-Province lol!
AKG, could you MOD this topic so the title shows something like SOLVED or something PLZ?

so it's fix..... as for the french.. French leave the other side of the lake and kiss each other. you are French Canadian . ou Québecois ... put your location , so We will know