Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2010, 03:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default question about WD caviar Green 1TB

So i'm on the dell website, and it looks like there's a decent price on a WD 1TB caviar green HD. My question is what's the difference with all these colours? Black, Green etc...also, is WD still a decent company? I remember reading a while back that they had kinda taken a down turn, or am I completely off my rocker?

Thanks!
Old March 18, 2010, 03:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Green just signifies less power consumption, and WD is probably the best HDD brand out there...
Old March 18, 2010, 03:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

figured i was just off my rocker. thanks!
Old March 18, 2010, 04:04 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post
figured i was just off my rocker. thanks!
Greens really only operate at 5400 RPM compared to the Blacks running at 7200, so you may notice a performance hit depending on what you plan to do with the drive.
Old March 18, 2010, 04:11 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Black is their HIGH SPEED / POWER line. 7200k and the new 2TB's are sub 10ms latency. Loudest of the lot. Though not terribly loud (they growl).
Blue is the original line. Its now been updated and is more for OEM's and system builders. Good balance between power and noise.
Green. LOW power consuption, low noise. Low spindle speed....HIGH latency. GREAT as "data" drives". Less than optimal choice for OS drive. SSD + Green is a potent combo.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 18, 2010, 04:16 PM
Banned
F@H

+1 for above
Old March 18, 2010, 04:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Black is their HIGH SPEED / POWER line. 7200k and the new 2TB's are sub 10ms latency. Loudest of the lot. Though not terribly loud (they growl).
Blue is the original line. Its now been updated and is more for OEM's and system builders. Good balance between power and noise.
Green. LOW power consuption, low noise. Low spindle speed....HIGH latency. GREAT as "data" drives". Less than optimal choice for OS drive. SSD + Green is a potent combo.
I was just planning on using it for data, so it'll probably be perfect. i think it works out to $85 after taxes, since shipping is free? not too bad a price i think?
Old March 18, 2010, 04:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post
I was just planning on using it for data, so it'll probably be perfect. i think it works out to $85 after taxes, since shipping is free? not too bad a price i think?
Bewawa.com is selling the 2TB version for $129.99. You can price match that on NCIX if you'd prefer
Old March 19, 2010, 07:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

I use a 1TB Green in my system for data/media storage, and it does it quite nicely. No problems with it thus far. The 5400 RPM and high latency isn't noticeable if this is all you're using it for. I highly reccomend it! Been running mine for almost a year nonstop, in conjunction with a redundant 500GB WD Green, and my OS/App 160GB Seagate drive.
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old March 19, 2010, 11:52 AM
Banned

The 1TB has two platters, the 1.5TB has 3 platters and the 2TB drives have 4 platters. Do any of you think that this might matter to some degree? I read some people are avoiding 2TB drives for two reasons: 1) are wary of having so much of their data on one drive - a lot of data to potentially lose all in one place and 2) somewhat connected to reason #1 being the extra platters meaning more moving parts and thus, maybe more of a chance of the drive failing.

I don't know if these concerns should be considered reasonable or if it's a good argument but I know that going for smaller capacity drives means needing more power if you connect them all to one power source. I believe that the WD 2TB Greens do pretty well with respect to low heat and power. But, you do get four platters. Maybe, that's fine. What do you think?

Btw, the cheaper WD Green 2TB quoted above is the older style 32MB cache versions. I would go for the newer 4Kb sector drives with 64MB Cache simply because that wil be the new style or types soon. However, I also would choose that one since I just need storage for them so whatever limitations they have, I could accept it as long as the drive is reliable.

Anyway, should I risk it and pursue the larger capacity drives or go with 1TB or 1.5TB ones? I know I'll have enough data so I am asking from a perspective of whether it's safer to have drives with less platters but have more of them versus having less hardware lying around but the hardware has more moving parts. One strategy results in increasing the power source and takes up room. It's also split (data is in two or more places). The other strategy results in all the data or more of it in one place and takes up less room. The catch is the data is in one place so if the drive fails....uh-oh. Also, the hard drive has more moving parts. Maybe I am over thinking this or being too concerned? It was just some food for thought, I guess. The price of the WD Greens 2TB is now good price/performance value if it stays at $135 for the WD20EARS.