Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2010, 07:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default 120GB Vertex @ NCIX for $299!!

Go get em!!!

NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Vertex 120GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - OCZSSD2-1VTX120G In Canada.

Last edited by MrDiaz; March 11, 2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: fixed drive size + added link
Old March 11, 2010, 09:26 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, Big price drop. Is it worth it? a good SSD? im building a new pc and looking for a deal on a ssd, should i go for this one?
Old March 11, 2010, 09:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I dunno...still pricey imo. I'm waiting for spring or summer when SSD prices are supposedly going to drop big time.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old March 11, 2010, 09:34 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Lowest its ever been according to PriceCanada is $289.99. And yeah they are really good, just behind Intel's X25M
Old March 11, 2010, 09:34 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal2Noise View Post
I dunno...still pricey imo. I'm waiting for spring or summer when SSD prices are supposedly going to drop big time.
End of the year!
Old March 11, 2010, 09:59 AM

My System Specs

It is an EOL product, however still a very competent drive.
Old March 11, 2010, 11:15 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer98 View Post
Wow, Big price drop. Is it worth it? a good SSD? im building a new pc and looking for a deal on a ssd, should i go for this one?
A modern machine should not be built without SSD as OS drive, this was true in 2009 and still is in 2010 (imho)
Old March 11, 2010, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDiaz View Post
Lowest its ever been according to PriceCanada is $289.99. And yeah they are really good, just behind Intel's X25M
Other way around. The Vertexs are a bit faster than the Intels.
Old March 11, 2010, 01:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
Other way around. The Vertexs are a bit faster than the Intels.
Sorry Digikid but this is the second time in as many days Ive seen you say that. Its simply NOT true. You are basing that off the SEQUENTIAL speed of the two drives.

The X25m may has slower sequnetial speed than the vertex....but you aint using it as a storage device! Sequential speed is USELESS for seeing how good an OS drive is. The small 4k r/w speed is what matters and here the Intel is king (mid size data transfer speed does count too, not as much but it is important prolly 70/30 or 80/20 split in 4k's favor).

I personally prefer the power profile of the Indilinx SSDs, but just as many people I know and respect prefer the Intel's. Overall it is a toss up BUT IMHO for most people's needs the Intel is the faster, "better" choice.

You would never notice the difference unless you benchmark or literally use the system and then swap out a vertex for X25m g2. BUT saying the Vertex is faster is a tad on the FUD side. IMHO if you only NEED 80GB the Intel is the best choice. IF you need 120GB for your OS system....get a Falcon/Torqx/Vertex.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 11, 2010, 01:29 PM
Banned

AKG I respect your opinion but there are other reviews that support my saying that.....however I did not say G2 though did I?

Now I will admit that I am talking about the G1 version and I should have said that and you have my apologies for not doing so....never played with a G2 yet though. That may be faster than Vertex no doubt since it is newer then the Vertex.

Thank you for the "careful" reply though. I respect those.....I do NOT respect the OMGWTFURWRONGIDIOT responses. LOL!!!