Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28, 2010, 09:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

Finally,

an official review of the Corsair NOVA V128GB SSD:

Corsair Nova Series V128 128GB Solid State Disk Introduction :: TweakTown

It's basically stating what AKG was stating all along.
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old March 28, 2010, 09:15 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Ours should be along shortly....but there is on ahead of it in the que. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 28, 2010, 09:33 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Finally,

an official review of the Corsair NOVA V128GB SSD:

Corsair Nova Series V128 128GB Solid State Disk Introduction :: TweakTown

It's basically stating what AKG was stating all along.
I wish reviewers would spend a bit more time on their review. I would still like to see more real world tests done. I find every benchmark they ran besides PCMark Vantage pretty useless personally.
Old March 28, 2010, 09:37 AM

Its funny but I think CDM is a LOT more useful than PCMark (or atleast CDM's small 4k test), and a properly setup IOMeter can shed a lot of light on a subject (as you may or may not see in an upcoming review /whistle). But I tend to agree that real world trumps synth tests.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 28, 2010, 12:51 PM
Banned

Why did they use the Agility instead of the Vertex 120GB SSD? I would like to see a comparison of the Corsair V128 and the Vertex 120GB. I think the prices are similar but if the Vertex can be had for no more than $300 and the Corsair is more $$, then the Vertex is the better choice by a bit?

Maybe get the cheaper drive out of the two? I am just speculating that performance between these two drives are really similar, perhaps.

That is, if the alleged problems with the Corsair series with the Indilinx ECO controller are ironed out or dealt with. I am going by some complaints in the Corsair forums, though, and maybe it's a temporary problem or an issue of not having the right firmware or setting it up properly?

Noob here, just asking. :)
Old March 28, 2010, 01:10 PM

The Corsair Nova is for all intents and purposes a GSkill Falcon 2. It uses mid tier NAND and a Indi Barefoot controller (the newer "eco" variant). IF you can find a full speed for the same price as the Nova....get the full speed. ;)

The only big issue I have with the Nova when compared to the Falcon 2 is the fact that the Nova is NOT firmware upgradeable. Corsair stated publicly in their forum that both the Nova and Reactor line would not be getting firmware updates. What the drive comes with...is what the drive has. Luckily, the Nova comes with the equivalent of 1916 / 1.5 firmware and thus it is not a big deal (I doubt Indilinx will be putting out to many more updates....if any).

YMMV but I prefer the Falcon 2, Falcon 1, Patriot Torqx, or Vertex to it.

Old April 3, 2010, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

So I wound up moving my OCZ 120 GB SSD to my Notebook, in a nutshell, my Asus G51J now has:
1. Intel 80 GB SSD for OS and Apps
2. OCZ 120 GB Vertex for Games / Apps

(2 spare Seagate Momentus 320GB Drives with no home ;) )

Still have 100 GB space available on my notebook and don't see myself filling it anytime soon....having 2 SSD's in the Notebook actually help pull GPU temps (GTX 260M) down a a few more degrees as well....