Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2010, 06:32 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I was thinking of getting a Vertex sometime soon but I'm a little confused about something.
Somewhere I read when setting up the drive to use AHCI in bios (MS drivers), now I have 2 500GB Seagates in raid 0 and 1 1TB Black as my OS drive and bios is set to raid, is AHCI enabled in raid (MS drivers)?
I want to use Vertex as my OS drive my black as app's, documents and scratch disk for photoshop and my raid for games which it is now. Any problems with this, will trim work OK (Win7) and should I put the Vertex on SATA port 1or does it matter?
Old March 22, 2010, 11:49 AM
Banned

There's no 12xGB SSD at $300 or under right now. Why is that? They're all older drives, too. I would save up a bit more and get the Crucial SSD with the Marvel controller rather than buy an older SSD that is probably slower. I think the Vertex would be good if cheaper. The Torx and other ones are more expensive than the Vertex even. Thumbs down, man!
Old March 24, 2010, 10:06 PM
Banned

I notice the OP's link still works for the discount. I find that strange but the dates are there, good until end of March.

Anyway, question: is the Vertex 120GB faster than the 120GB Agility?

I read of some people claiming the Agility is faster but if so, how?

I thought the Vertex was a bit faster but would like confirmation.

I think the Intel 80GB would be suffiicent for a Windows OS but if I get a SSD for my Linux OS, I think I'd like it a bit larger than 80GB, so it looks like those 12xGB drives would be min.
Old March 25, 2010, 04:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The Vertex is faster than a Agility. In personal testing I found the dif between an apples to apples comparison of a Vertex and Agility to be about 10%, some others say its less but I dont think I've heard anyone claiming the Agility is FASTER! If I had to guess Id say that confusion could come into play when talking about an older Vertex with older NAND vs an Agility with 34nm NAND, but even then the Vertex should be faster!

For most peeps the Intel X25M gen 2 is faster than an Vertex. At 235 to 250....its a potent combo of decent price w/ killer performance. BUT if you need more than 80GB the Indinlinx's are good choices. Sandforce SSDs are soon landing. They will be in 100 and 200GB sizes....BUT are going to be expensive. The flip side is that they should be (maybe a LOT) faster than even the Intel's. *Nix and SSDs are a mixed bag right now, I don't consider my self a nix expert so I can comment further on it as it would be 3rd hand info at best.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 25, 2010, 05:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

Technix, you still hesitate?
Find your price and needed size and go (unless you hesitate between SSD or other upgrade)
The Vertex is a little bit faster, although nothing to write home about.

See the link:

AnandTech: The SSD Relapse: Understanding and Choosing the Best SSD

This week, NCIX has the Corsair V128GB for $299.99 no MIR needed, and the mounting bracket is included. Corsair's warranty is 2 years (3 years for the OCZ).

According to AKG, the Corsair V128GB is a clone of the Gskill Falcon II (new indilinx eco controller).

(some specs that I found, and AKG's insight)
AKG and other SSD gurus...insight needed!

(Falcon II review for a comparison)
G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD Review

I bought my Vertex 120GB from NCIX @ $299 and I'm really happy with it, it was flashed to FW 1.5 from the factory . I appreciate the 3-years warranty OCZ gives you, also, they get the latest firmwares out before the competitors. Their forum is full of advices, how-to guides and stuff.

If you wait for faster drives, well, it's up to you, but will you really notice the difference?

You know the ones to avoid, you know the best ones out there...find the price you look for.

Some people did purchase more expensive drives like the Vertex Limited Edition and even tho it's faster than a Vertex, the price difference is not justified (well, depending of your usage).

So your first choice is between Intel 80GB (G2) or Indilinx-based 120-128GB (Vertex, Falcon, Torx).

Second choice could be the newer Indilinx-based SSD (Falcon II, Corsair V128, Agility) and the Toshiba-based Kingston (V+).

third choice is to wait the Christ's second coming (always like that in the computer hardware world).

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)

Last edited by Delavan; March 25, 2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old March 25, 2010, 05:40 AM
Rookie

Have all the fragmentation issues been resolved yet with those drives ?
Old March 25, 2010, 05:51 AM

Fragemtation in the HDD sense of the word is just a fact of life w/ SSDs. Wearleveling tech puts the bits in the least used, free cells available. It doesnt matter as all cells have the same latency and speed. It can make a drive get into a degraded state faster....BUT since the advent of real ITGC and TRIM it doesnt matter. Degraded states dont usually happen unless you REALLY try and even then let idle for a little while and it cleans itself. ;)

Just as a note. The Kingston SSDNow V+ is not a Indilinx SSD. It uses a Toshiba based controller. It has even more potential than the barefoot from Indi.....but much like when the Barefoot poped up unto the scene it needs firmware tweaking to reach this potential. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 25, 2010, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

It's true that the V+ series from Kingston (Toshiba controller) looks good. Much better than the regular V series (jmicron).
I tried to find a forum/support/something on Kingston site about SSDs, to no avail. They have tech support and this is it. This is why I settled for OCZ.

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old March 25, 2010, 11:43 AM
Banned

Thanks for the info, AKG!

Yeah, I know the Linux landscape for SSDs is a bit hairy right now and obviously it is a bit early for support but they are working at it! Many of the most recent Linux partition tools are already speaking of support for aligning partitions and TRIM support should be coming soon according to what I read. The next Linux kernel, 2.6.34, already claims support for TRIM. Not sure for Garbage Collection but the developers probably know about it. Anyway, that's probably more Linux topics than you care to know but I thought I'd provide what I read for any Linux users out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Technix, you still hesitate?
Yeah, I'm always hesitating! LOL! I want to buy too many components!

Quote:
Find your price and needed size and go (unless you hesitate between SSD or other upgrade)
The Vertex is a little bit faster, although nothing to write home about.
Perfect. You and AKG helped me decide big time! I will read those reviews, thanks.

Quote:
I bought my Vertex 120GB from NCIX @ $299 and I'm really happy with it, it was flashed to FW 1.5 from the factory . I appreciate the 3-years warranty OCZ gives you, also, they get the latest firmwares out before the competitors. Their forum is full of advices, how-to guides and stuff.

If you wait for faster drives, well, it's up to you, but will you really notice the difference?

You know the ones to avoid, you know the best ones out there...find the price you look for.

Some people did purchase more expensive drives like the Vertex Limited Edition and even tho it's faster than a Vertex, the price difference is not justified (well, depending of your usage).

So your first choice is between Intel 80GB (G2) or Indilinx-based 120-128GB (Vertex, Falcon, Torx).

Second choice could be the newer Indilinx-based SSD (Falcon II, Corsair V128, Agility) and the Toshiba-based Kingston (V+).
I know I'm taking forever to decide. haha. I would like three SSDs, one for my desktop Windows side, one for Linux and one for a future (hopefully) laptop purchase. I guess I could just wait on one or two of those. ;)

You presented those choices well. I am not sure about Corsair or the other ones like Kingston. They have good prices but some Corsair owners are complaining about official specs/speeds being way off.

I read the newegg reviews and thought the Vertex 120GB would be a safer choice. You're both right, I could wait for the Sandforce controller SSDs but I bet they will be too pricey. I could buy either the Intel or Vertex now and use that as my main drive until I have more money for another one. Maybe more Sandforce ones would be out by then.

On newegg, there is a review by someone who bought a new Crucial SSD with the Marvel(?) or Sandforce controller and I read it is the fastest one overall right now. But, it's over $400 for 100GB. The buyer installed Linux on it and even presents instructions. Sounds good but probably out of the budget I have for myself. Even $300 for a 120GB drive, SSD or not, is high!

I guess the good part in delaying is that firmware will be more up to date, problems/issues will be more likely to be addressed and the status/state will be more mature by then.

Anyway, thanks for the detailed info and advice. I wanted to narrow my choices and I think it's something like this depending on which system I'm buying it for:
A) Intel G2 X25-M 80GB - Windows 7 - desktop
B) OCZ Vertex 120GB - Linux - desktop
C) Vertex 120GB - for laptop - not sure which disk configuration I'd go with so I'd want the larger drive
Old March 25, 2010, 11:50 AM

Looks like you got a good handle on what you need/want/afford.

Just as general info:

Yeah the latest Crucial is using a Marvel Sata 6GB/s controller so its sequential speeds are insane. I read some neg reports on its 4k r/w speed though. Whereas the Sandforce is "only" a Sata 3GB/s controller but is getting HUGE 4k r/w numbers.

As for Corsair, they are a great company and have great Customer Service.....but there numbers are indeed out to lunch on the Nova. I've tested it...and its tad faster than a Falcon 2, BUT it comes with newer firmware (and that could explain it)....which is NOT upgradeable. What you get....is what you get.

I'm personally looking forward to the Corsair Force SSDs. Should be a beast backed by a GREAT company.