Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2010, 07:50 PM

My System Specs

Default †

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post
AKG I respect your opinion but there are other reviews that support my saying that.....however I did not say G2 though did I?

Now I will admit that I am talking about the G1 version and I should have said that and you have my apologies for not doing so....never played with a G2 yet though. That may be faster than Vertex no doubt since it is newer then the Vertex.

Thank you for the "careful" reply though. I respect those.....I do NOT respect the OMGWTFURWRONGIDIOT responses. LOL!!!
Even saying a 120GB Vertex is faster than an X25-M G1 is still debatable. Small file random read/write IOPS are still quite a bit faster on the X25-M. It really depends on your usage patterns. You couldn't go bad w/ either drive.

I might also add comparing this drive to a G1, which has been EOL for 6 months seems like a kind of odd thing to do.
Old March 12, 2010, 05:42 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I don't see what's there to debate really, for an OS drive the Intel will outperform the Vertex.
Old March 12, 2010, 05:50 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
........You are basing that off the SEQUENTIAL speed of the two drives.
The X25m may has slower sequnetial speed than the vertex......
I was considering order this 128 Vertex for my games , but I have a question here. My Stalker games take a hell of a time to load, I will say 2 minutes for the initial load , it was way faster XP , I notice since I pass to 7 it's slower to load

they are on a WDC black , I see less than 100 files in the folders, the X engine is 1,4 mb and another DDL is 7,0 do you think I will be better with an SSD or a raid of raptor for thoses Stalker games. ?

I have the games install on 2 PC one with 7 home premium 32 bits, os on a 640 black and the other pro x64 , OS on Intel , both game partition on 640 black
Old March 12, 2010, 06:14 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

SSDs are overkill for decreasing game load times....BUT if you can afford it no single spindle based drive can touch them in what is essentialy seq read speed. You would have to go to a multi short stroked raid setup to match a single 120 Vertex/Falcon/Torqx in readspeed....BUT you would get a heck of a lot more room BUT only if you have the room for say 3 hdds. TBH Id be more inclined to go with a couple cheap wd blacks, short stroke them to 20% capacity and use it as my "game drive" than use a SSD as a D drive. But then again I hate seeing expensive SSDs used as storage only drives.

NOW with all that being said, if you are talking about hdd raid vs SSD for your OS drive and loading games on to the C drive.....get a SSD and dont bother with hdds. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 12, 2010, 06:31 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
NOW with all that being said, if you are talking about hdd raid vs SSD for your OS drive and loading games on to the C drive.....get a SSD and dont bother with hdds. :)

the OS ( on the c: ) is on my Intel , I have recent build ( 2008 ) raptor 34 gb not use here, I have 4 of them, so I can use 3 but, I have to put the Bios on Raid, what about my SSD , that is in IDE, what if I use 2 of them on the 2x speeding raid sata port of those Asus, ( the red one) I have never try it.
Old March 12, 2010, 07:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

AKG,

I'm buying an SSD (to use as OS drive) this week at NCIX, that's for sure. I NEED at least 80GB, but I prefer a 120/128GB, and I'm paying attention to your posts/reviews/answers to posts. I don't want to fork more that $350 including brackets (all mentioned models can be PMed to below $350).

The 120GB Vertex is really interesting, the price is really $340-$40 MIR (never dealt with OCZ for MIR before)....anyway I read somewhere that it's EOL...also, it doesn't ship with latest firmware, so there is a chance to brick it by updating from day 1?

The Indilinx-based one: The 120GB Vertex seems sweet, but EOL??? I looked on OCZs forum and a few people bricked their Vertex and Agility by updating firmware to 1.5 (TRIM support). Ocz techs are asking people to report their bricked drives for statistics and trying to find where the problem is.

I then read on the Falcon II (I know you prefer Falcon I). There is still issues with latest firmware (GSKILL forum) for the Falcon II (probably due to newer eco controller, newer tech.=teething pains). A few bricked drives there also

The Corsair Nova V128 seems nice also (fastest reads 270/writes 180 I've seen in specs, but apparently never reaching anything close to that) and sells for a good price (PM) and comes with the mounting brackets. A few bricked drives

Leaves me with the Intel X25-80GB G2...and it's the cheapest of the bunch (PMed), but that gets great reviews (I need a fast OS drive, so it's 4K perf. is what I'm looking at right?).

I know the Kingston offerings are low-mid tier to you and iffy (jm618 controller)...

Help!!!
I'm convinced about the usefulness of an SSD as an OS drive. BUT I don't want to regret my purchase by buying unreliable getting firmware bugs at first, install nightmares and such...
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old March 12, 2010, 07:39 AM

My System Specs

If 80GB is enough space, you can't go wrong w/ the X25-M. Just because the Vertex is also EOL doesn't mean it is a bad drive. Just that it is being replaced w/ a newer slightly faster drive here right away. So if you would like the extra 40GB then by all means buy the Vertex. You won't be disappointed with either drive.
Old March 12, 2010, 07:43 AM

Earlier iterations of firmware 1.5 did indeed brick the occasional SSD. It was rare, but like most things the ones who it happens to YELL the loudest. I personally didn't have any troubles at all upgrading the various ones for my customers and TBH its a very minor risk. If does go tits up. RMA'ing it painless with OCZ and NCIX. ;)

Honestly, I don't think there is much room for improvement WRT to firmware on the INdi Barefoots. ITGC seems to have been worked out and it has TRIM as well. There really is a point of diminishing returns on firmware tweaking and I think that point has now been crossed (after all every cycle you put towards ITGC or TRIM is one less that can be used for DOING things like reads or writes!). The firmware is mature enough that if no more updates come out....who cares! Don't let the EOL moniker scare you away. They are kick ass drives.

TBH I think most of the problems with bricking drivers were related to the 34nm NAND and slightly dif Barefoot controller needed for the 34nm NAND in later ones (they are easy to spot as they shipped with 1.42 on them). Ive updated these as well with no probs.

I cant comment on the Nova as I havent taken it apart yet nor tested it. ()

TBH Intel vs Indilinx is personal preference. I pref the power profile of the Indi's....BUT it really is 6 in one half dozen in the other kinda thang. BOTH lines are beasts and even if the next gen are "better" you still will be extremely happy with your purchase which ever way you go. IF you need to buy right now and 80GB is enough its a no brainer: Get an Intel x25m gen 2. If you need more Id look at the Patriot Torqx long and hard. 10yr warranty means that in 4 or 5 yrs it DOES die....you are almost guaranteed to get a newer gen SSD as a replacement ;)

Seriously, the best way to decide is on size or price. 80gb = Intel. 128gb= Indilinx. IF price is a concern....get the Intel. :)

You'll love the SSD you go with no matter which one you DO get. Easiest, BIGGEST single item replacement you can do to a system (for day to day usage).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 12, 2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
the OS ( on the c: ) is on my Intel , I have recent build ( 2008 ) raptor 34 gb not use here, I have 4 of them, so I can use 3 but, I have to put the Bios on Raid, what about my SSD , that is in IDE, what if I use 2 of them on the 2x speeding raid sata port of those Asus, ( the red one) I have never try it.
Yeah for RAID you are going to almost definitely going to need to go AHCI. If the two red ports are controlled by a separate sata controller you maybe able to set it separately to "raid" and not worry about the C drives setup ;)

IF you got a couple Raptors kicking around....why not try em? No expense = no down side. Worse case scenario....you restore from backup your OS drive (obviously do a backup before messing with your system!). Better worse case.....you run your Intel in AHCI and yank the raptors and spend some cash on another SSD. Most likely scenario....you find the speed improvement "good enough" to not warrant the price of a SSD.

BUT with all that said (and now that I think about it more)....even if you DO go for another SSD I wouldn't be looking at a high end SSD anyways! The cheaper mid teir SSDs (like the new Kingston SSDNow V+ gen 2 or even the V gen 2) will be MORE than powerful enough for your needs! Its not like small r/w performance are going to matter to you. Its basically SEQUENTIAL read speed you are after....and the mid tier drives rock at that. Food for thought at least....but Id try the Raptors first and then spend coin only if necessary if it was me. ;)

Old March 12, 2010, 08:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks AKG and Lowfat,

Quick reply! Well, I don't post often, but follow your work and advices. (and wait for more GTX470 info from SKY!!!)

Could some of the issues with SSDs (mentioned on forums) being more related to NOTEBOOK users, than DESKTOPS? Something about people not disabling sleep mode/hibernating?

Quote:
TBH I think most of the problems with bricking drivers were related to the 34nm NAND and slightly dif Barefoot controller needed for the 34nm NAND in later ones (they are easy to spot as they shipped with 1.42 on them). Ive updated these as well with no probs.
AKG, are you kinda "suggesting" to stay with the oldie 50nm gen chips for more reliability?
OCZ forum admis seem to be caring about their people, so It's conforting...the reasoning behind the EOL thing on the VERTEX was that I thought that if the product is EOL, they might decrease support on it.

So I'm all set. Either Vertex 120GB or Intel X25-m 80GB G2. I'll also get a copy of Win7 Home Premium 64 bits. And maybe a WD640GB Black to install my "older games", as I will install Bad Company 2 and AvP on my SSD.

I'll report when my stuff will be installed!!!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)