Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2010, 10:52 AM
shaw

Exclamation SSD damage / failure tests?

Long story short, there was a power outage back home Thursday evening, and my router died. No biggie I told myself, remove and replace. But last night my UPS (APC 1300) gave me a warning that volts were out of spec, and the minute after my lappy froze.

I had to do a hard reboot, BIOS POST'ed but Windows started the hard drive repair procedure - trice, actually. With the same result, that the sectors (?) could not be repaired.

I connected the SSD to my main rig, it was recognized and I managed to copy my personal files over... question now is: dead SSD? Or is it only the OS that took the hit, and I need to format / re-install?

The drive is a 1st Gen. Gskill 64GB, model FM-25S2S-64 - no "name" (not Titan, Falcon or Falcon II). From what I read over at the Gskill forums, no TRIM or Wiper.exe exist for that particular model. Are there any apps that will wipe that drive clean and perform tests to make sure it was not damaged?

Tx.
Old February 27, 2010, 01:35 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If the SSD was recognized it most likely is fine. Sounds like your OS just got nuked. Try copying some files TO the SSD. If you can it should be good to go. If it can only read...its toast.
If the full model name is FS-25S2-64GB then your SSD is a single JMicron JM602 controller based SSD. Good news is it is SLC and not MLC NAND....bad news is your SSD does not have TRIM support nor any ITGC worth talking about. You can run FreeSpaceCleaner.exe w/ FF option (aka AS-Clean) and it will write 1's to all the free cells. Then delete the file it creates. This will bring all the empty cells back to a virgin state. It will take awhile. Only do it when the drive starts to feel slow as it is using up cell life (not a lot as you get 100,000 writes per cell on avg w/ SLC BUT it will add up over time IF you run it everyday) every couple or even once a week should be more than enough. :)

Some other HWC members prefer other programs to do this. It doesnt really matter as they are all doing basically the same thing. IF you want to take an extra step, do a "TONY-TRIM" which adds a free space consolidation to the equation before running FreeSpaceCleaner / AS-Clean.

Here is a link to OCZ's guide. It has links for AS-Clean.
Guide A simple guide for gen1 owners( Apex, solid, core V1/V2) or raid array owners who want to consolidate free space and clean the remaining Nand on the drives. OCZ gen2 drives..Vertex, Agility, Solid2, TURBO owners with FW 1.5 you do not need this.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 27, 2010, 01:50 PM
shaw

Thanks, I'll go step by step. I already have ordered an Intel Gen.II X25-M, but if the drive is still good I may be able to do something with it.
Old March 16, 2010, 02:59 PM
shaw

Small update, the drive died last night. Same pattern - corrupted files, then no boot / unsuccessful recovery process. RMA is already approved by G.Skill, and package sent. I've replaced it with a Kingston 40Gb I had as a spare.

I wonder what will be the replacement, since it's a rather "old" drive that was discontinued a while ago.
Old March 16, 2010, 03:05 PM

Whatever it is I hope its a SLC SSD. I personally wouldnt accept ANY MLC drive as yours was a SLC. So I would be very annoyed if they send even a Sandforce based SSD as a replacement! 100,000 down to 10, 000 is not an equal or greater performing drive as the 10k will die loooong before a 100k will. The only way you could get equivalent is via wear levelling and since they dont make 640GB SSDS yet....it will be a reduction in life.

Keep us in the loop on what they do send. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 16, 2010, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

um how is this drive slc? Newegg.com - G.SKILL FM-25S2S-64GB 2.5" 64GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD
Old March 16, 2010, 03:38 PM

Ah crap. Good catch Gingerbee! I was thinkin it was the FS-25S2-64GB not the FM-25S2-64GB! God only knows what they wil be replacing a single Jm MLC SSD with. Could be anything. My guess it will be a Titan dual JM SSD....if they have any still in stock. Hope you get a Indilinx, but you never know...they may still have some of those golden oldies collecting dust in a warehouse somewhere :)~

Old March 16, 2010, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya it's just the stupid fm-25s2 or fs-25s2s real close. I hope you get an indilinx good luck

p.s i only caught it because i used Google ha ha
Old March 16, 2010, 03:53 PM
shaw

Yup, that's the drive indeed. FM.
We'll see then, in about 2 weeks.
Old March 16, 2010, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

On that note,
I never used a UPC on my computers, only decent quality power bars.
Is using a UPC paramount when using an SSD? My OCZ VERTEX is in Purolator's hands

I seen a UPS from APC for $69.99. It's a 420 watts, and my computer probably draw a good 300 watts at load. I might upgrade to a GTX 470 or 480 in the next few weeks when they come out, or a HD5870.
Would a 420 Watts UPC would hold?
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)