Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Touching Up SSD before OS Install (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/29285-touching-up-ssd-before-os-install.html)

FreeKnight February 25, 2010 10:47 PM

Touching Up SSD before OS Install

Hey peoples,

I'm going to go pick up a copy of Win 7 to replace the RC I'm running on my personal PC. I'm using a Vertex 120GB SSD for my OS drive. Is there anything special you recommend doing to the drive prior to formatting and installing Win 7 (other than updating the firmware of course). Otherwise should I just proceed as normal and then run some of the SSD tweaks after I put in Win 7? I can't imagine there being anything too special, but SSDs are a little special so I like to check.

Thanks again everyone!

lowfat February 26, 2010 02:56 AM

Update your FW to 1.5 on the Vertex if you haven't. Otherwise you don't need to do a thing.

Varroa February 26, 2010 07:55 AM

I would run a sanitary erase, FW update, sanitary erase then just do a fresh install. If you are already running 1.5FW then just do a sanitary erase first.

gingerbee February 26, 2010 08:05 AM

sanitary erase is really not a good idea i have never done it too my falcons and they run no better or worse then just running wiper which also does not help kill it. jmo just format and wipe done full speed ahead :biggrin:

AkG February 26, 2010 08:11 AM

No need to do a Sani Erase...let alone TWO of em.

Update the firmware, do a fresh install. Do the tweaks, and you are golden. IF you want, let the sys idle for a couple hours afterwards and ITGC will take care of any garbage that was created via the installation ;)

Varroa February 26, 2010 08:20 AM

If you update the firmware it is HIGHLY recommend to run a sanitary erase. Everytime I have upgraded my firmware I have ended up with corrupt data if I didn't follow the update with a Sanitary erase. However, your mileage may vary.

AkG February 26, 2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varroa (Post 339712)
If you update the firmware it is HIGHLY recommend to run a sanitary erase. Everytime I have upgraded my firmware I have ended up with corrupt data if I didn't follow the update with a Sanitary erase. However, your mileage may vary.

Its recommended by who? I would like to see the links backing that statement up please. It may be recomended when updating from a PRE-TRIM firmware to a TRIM aware firmware as there may be a lot of garbage kicking around...but from 1.3 to 1.4 to 1.5....I dont think so. Would love to learn something new though. :)

I have updated the firmware on dozens of Indlinx's and have never had a problem with data corruption....just lucky I guess. YMMV

As for the OP its going to be FRESH install....there isnt any data to corrupt! IF you are afraid of a lot of garbage kicking around and its effects on speed before updating the firmware....run wiper.exe it will clear out all the garbage for you. THEN update the firmware, then do a fresh install. :thumb:

gingerbee February 26, 2010 08:31 AM

well i think there something wrong there i format almost every other month and have never done this in

between and have never had corruption problems at all never even heard of this before. i have only done

erase's to test how well it restore's performance and have found it's not worth what it does to your drive. just

using wiper works fine on all my indilinx and even running sani on my none indilinx ssd all it did was slow them down a little

bit each time. have tried everyone there is ocz/ tonytrim/ccleanner and multiply times with ahci on adn off

made no difference.

:biggrin:fyi i have falcons/a-data s592/Patriot warps/ and too crappy little 8 gig ssd's in netbooks that i have test this on. makes me think there something wrong with your ssd/s :thumb:

Varroa February 26, 2010 08:35 AM

I wish there WAS something wrong but there isn't. I have spent hours on the OCZ forums trying to solve this problem. I will take a look for the SE recommendations on the OCZ forums and get back to you.

gingerbee February 26, 2010 08:43 AM

chipset maybe, just a guess