Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2010, 09:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default FileServer OS

Hey im trying to decide what OS to use for my Fileserver/printserver.
I will have access to msdn aa in sept, at which time ill install server 2008, what would be a good free solution until then? I have installed freenas, and was hoping to use it as it looks quite powerfull, though it recommends that ntfs drives be read only, as its using ntfs-3g driver to allow the unix based os to access the ntfs. When I install server 2008, id like to be able to drop the os onto a secondary drive, and immediately be able to access the files stored on the raid array. The freenas recommended FS of ufs, is not supported by windows, so Id rather not go with that option. What should I do? Is it possible to somehow drop the updated ntfs-3g driver into the existing freenas install, to allow better ntfs functionality, or should I just say screw it and format ntfs?
Old February 26, 2010, 09:28 AM
MVP

This may be more than what you are after but instead of trying to figure out what "One size fits all" OS to install, have you considered setting up a bare metal hypervisor like Xenserver 5.5 or Proxmox? You will basically be setting up an environment where all os's run as virtual machines. Multiple Os's on a singe physical machine. You will also then be able to run appliances, dedicated task virtual machines, instead of complete os installs to perform specific tasks. The computer will become a dedicated virtual machine server.

I have Xenserver 5.5update2 running on my server box with CentOS 5.4, a Web server appliance from Turnkey Linux and various other test machines.

Asus AM2+ 760G Motherboard (The model number escapes me right now)
AMD Phenom II X2 550
4gigi ddr2 800Mhz
2x Samsung F1 1TB Hard Drives

Cheaper Intel processors like the E5xxx ,E7xxx and Q8xxx series lack the VTx extensions (Improve VM performance) required by Xenserver, Vmware ESXi & Proxmox VE. All AMD AM2 processors & higher have the AMD-V equivalent so going AMD was a no brainer within the budget that I had set out for the build.

For File and Print server functions cpu horsepower isn't really a factor, so even some of the cheap newer Athlon II X2's should do nicely with this setup. If you want to splurge than an Athlon II X3 or X4 would be good as well.

I've used both Xenserver & Proxmox extensively and can recommend these solutions without reservation. After experiencing virtualization I can never go back to "One Size Fits All" again

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old February 26, 2010, 09:41 AM
Banned
F@H

Windows Home Server , it's all you need
Old February 26, 2010, 09:45 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Or just use a 90- day eval copy of Server 2008 and rearm it three times (its max)? That gives you 9 months of a free server OS.
Old February 26, 2010, 05:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Kingnubian, im usually not shy of trying something new that looks alittle over my head, Id like to start off learning the basics thoroughly, thx though!

Ill have to check that out CM, didnt know you could rearm it. How exactly do you do that?
tyty

edit: nvm found it How to extend the Windows Server 2008 evaluation period

thx cm think ill go this route

Last edited by odis172; February 26, 2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old February 26, 2010, 09:42 PM
Rookie

non-Windows alternative could be freenas [FreeNAS]
Old March 4, 2010, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i would do what has already been mentioned here. Download a trial of server 2008. when you get your 2008 key and cd iso. reinstall it. If you go with something linux based you will need to backup the drives to ntfs volumes before you could access the data.