Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   SSD recommendations? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/29171-ssd-recommendations.html)

technix February 23, 2010 12:37 AM

SSD recommendations?

I have some questions regarding SSDs plus a request for recommendations. :biggrin:

First, a brief intro to why I'm inquiring and what my situation is:
*'Thought I might upgrade to Windows 7 so maybe buy a SSD too, right? I read a post in which someone is doing that. 'Makes sense to me.

*I also use Linux, too, though. SSDs are expensive. 120GB or 128GB is probably the largest I could afford and even that is pushing it. I haven't read anything about dual-booting in SSDs so could anyone comment? However, I'm investigating reserving one hard drive for a Windows 7 install and one HDD for my Linux installs. I could buy the SSD for Windows 7 and use my current 320GB for Linux. I ran out of disk space but that's my fault for not moving/copying my data to storage drives.

*I plan on buying a storage drive for my Windows data but that's another post. :biggrin:

*I have read some articles on SSD drives but to be honest, it mostly adds to the confusion. Do I want a drive that offers TRIM? Do I want Intel or OCZ Vertex? Should I wait for the newer technologies or models? I found the Intel G2 X-25M for $250 but the OCZ Vertex 120GB for $309 w/rebate is a better deal $/GB, right? As long as I copy/move my data to the storage drive, I can probably live with 80GB. I think? I am not sure how different it will be installing Windows 7 and programs/apps compared to XP. This brings me to a related question.

*How is the experience copying/moving files to a traditional/legacy storage drive? How do SSD drives and typical hard drives interact? Any issues to speak of?

*Back to recommendations: which to buy? I also thought I could even save up for two and install ONE Linux OS on the other. Else, I could do as before but have Windows on 'the other drive.' I could even keep XP on the 320GB SATA drive although I probably wouldn't use it much if I had Windows 7. It's only taking up 20GB of space, though. What should I do? :biggrin:

I think I probably typed too much. I'm too lazy to summarize but I did try to not write a novel. ;-)

Despite the lengthy post, I hope it is interesting enough to provoke some replies. I'm totally undecided and uncertain of what to do. I'm also debating which storage drive to get so.... yeah...

Thanks in advance for any replies....'will be keeping a close eye on this thread!

technix February 23, 2010 08:41 AM

Nothing? I guess I underestimated the interest of reading stuff here or my inquiry and request was both boring and too familiar? :sad:

I will keep researching and reading then. :)

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds to the original post, of course!!!

AkG February 23, 2010 08:57 AM

Sorry dude....this aint instant chat. :/

Have some patience, you catch more flies with honey...etc etc.

If you are planning on going Win 7 then yes you want TRIM. Use AHCI mode and MSAHCI drivers to take advantage of TRIM.

If a drive doesn't support it....its ancient and not the best choice.

You will have no issues running your OS off a SSD and having HDD as your data drive. Your OS doesnt care. This is how I run my setups and is the most logical and easy way of doing things. Really no down sides to a SSD + HDD setup.

IF 60GB is enough for your OS drive (just windows and main apps, store data on a HDD) and you want a good bang for your buck SSD look at the Gskill Falcon 2 and OCZ Agility. Mid tier kit that are very fast compared to HDDs and have a better cost to performance ratio. Either one is a great way to get started and wont cost an arm and a leg. Might be the way to go if you want one for MS and one for *nix. I have no comments on Linux and SSDs as I dont run Linux and SSDs together (only systems I have that run a nix flavour are my NAS's).

KeepSix February 23, 2010 10:05 AM

Not boring or familiar, just complex. I'm researching it myself. This was my jump-off point: No SWAP Partition, Journaling Filesystems, … on a SSD? | Robert Penz Blog

Still reading... :blarg:

gingerbee February 23, 2010 10:13 AM

I don't play with linux that much so i thought i would let some who do speak up. but an intel 80 gen2 sounds right up your alley. as long as you buy indilinx or intel you should be ok

technix February 23, 2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 338202)
Sorry dude....this aint instant chat. :/

Have some patience, you catch more flies with honey...etc etc.

If you are planning on going Win 7 then yes you want TRIM. Use AHCI mode and MSAHCI drivers to take advantage of TRIM.

If a drive doesn't support it....its ancient and not the best choice.

You will have no issues running your OS off a SSD and having HDD as your data drive. Your OS doesnt care. This is how I run my setups and is the most logical and easy way of doing things. Really no down sides to a SSD + HDD setup.

IF 60GB is enough for your OS drive (just windows and main apps, store data on a HDD) and you want a good bang for your buck SSD look at the Gskill Falcon 2 and OCZ Agility. Mid tier kit that are very fast compared to HDDs and have a better cost to performance ratio. Either one is a great way to get started and wont cost an arm and a leg. Might be the way to go if you want one for MS and one for *nix. I have no comments on Linux and SSDs as I dont run Linux and SSDs together (only systems I have that run a nix flavour are my NAS's).

Great to get all these replies! I was just kidding at my followup post but it's all good! :biggrin:

I notice the GSkill and OCZ Agility are around $200... *currently*... not bad... The Intel G2 X25M can be had for $50 more. Worth it? You get a bit extra disk space and it's faster in some benchmarks, right?

Gee, I'd like to get one for Windows 7 and then the Agility 60GB for the 'Linux drive!!!' But, can I pay for it and justify it at the same time?!? lol!

What is the difference with the Agility and Vertex? They use the same firmware? I think I read that the Flash memory used is different but not sure what that means. :) Maybe on is SLC and one is MLC? Will I have to research/read or would someone let me be lazy by explaining? lol

AkG February 23, 2010 04:06 PM

The X25-M gen 2 is certainly the best out there right now. But if 80GB is too small, the 120GB Vertex would be next choice.
The Agility uses the same controller it just has slower and (slightly) less capable NAND. Unless you go for a X25-E or Vertex EX you will be looking at MLC NAND. SLC is certainly better at writes....but you pay for the increase in performance!

Basically it all comes down to budget and patience. If you need/want/desire the best right now, dont want to wait and 80GB is enough room...the X25-m gen 2 is the one to get.
If you want to play with two SSDs the Agility is the way I would go. If you need 120GB a Vertex would be the way to go. Pick any of em and enjoy as they are the biggest single upgrade you can make. :)

technix February 23, 2010 05:36 PM

I'll have to see if I can find the funds! :) Is there any report or insight on the development of SSD drives? I think Sandforce will bring out types but they will be expensive? There won't be any revolutionary progressions any time soon though, right? So, as far as the technology, it's a good time to buy, huh? Just high prices, then? :)

CraigRT February 23, 2010 05:45 PM

Intel X25 gen2

Jackquelegs February 23, 2010 06:04 PM

X25M G2 is definitely a better SSD than my old Vertex 60