2) OCZ Vertex LE 120GB - $429
3) OCZ Vertex Turbo 120GB - $425

<$350:
Kingston V+ Series 128GB - $319
Corsair R120 - $344
Corsair V128 - $350

<$300:
Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425 (S2BD?) - $280*
*S2BD or S2BN or S2?????? - what are these?!?

Anyway, if I decide I can afford around $400, then I would try for that Crucial SSD. If not (and likely NOT), I'll keep waiting or spring for the Kingston SNV425 or V+ SNVP325-S2 128GB. The 'V+' version seems halfway decent if I want the price around $300 and if I want it no more than $300, the other Kingston. It's just that there is quite a significant jump in performance if I invest another $100. Right now, I think it's tough to justify that and really shouldn't anyway. :)

The Kingstons are probably good enough compared to typical legacy hard drives.

I'll have to think about it. Wait and hope for price drops or get a Kingston? :) The other wait would be to see if the Vertex 120GB goes back down to $300 with rebate but the current $400+ (and change) is a rip, to be honest, when one can have Sandforce controller SSDs for the same price.

Does that help at all, ipaine?!?
It does help a bit, it pretty much reinforces what I was thinking. I know that any of these would be way faster than what I have right now. I think I'm leaning towards the Kingston V+ but will have to wait just a little bit to see. Oh and I know I will need a 120 or more since I have looked at my C: drive and I would like to be able to have at least a couple games installed on the SSD when I am playing them and as it is between Dragon Age and Mass Effect that alone is right about 30GB, add in photoshop, and a few other programs and it grows quickly.

Old April 8, 2010, 07:07 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The Vertex LE is a Sandforce controller based drive. VERY good kit. Pretty good price acutaly...BUT is a 100GB drive NOT a 120. Sandforce drives come in round 100 and 200 sizes. Easy way to spot em. The Vertex Turbo at that price is not worth it. The crucial is good kit as well. Right now Im leaning towards any SandForce based drive as my number 1 choice. Pros and Cons to both it and the Marvel controller. Cant really go wrong with either. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

V+ has great potential and may just be a kick ass drive in a firmware update or three. Still a very good drive now....but has Indilinx Barefoot killing potential ;) The Corsair R is a JM612 so it would be my least fav of those three (Id go SSDNow V with the 618 before any 612. and the V+ is prolly better still). The Nova is another decent choice, BUT i would prolly go for the GSkill Falcon 2 before it. Exact same drive, just the Nova is not getting firmware updates whereas the GSkill is updating the F2. IF the Vertex goes back on sale....its a no brainer. Get it. Great drive at that MIR price.

The New V gen 2 SNV425 is a good bang for your buck drive. May end up being this rounds "Agility" in that it has good performance at a killer price (though the V+ will most likely hold that title IMHO). The SNV425-S2 is the stand alone kit. JUST the SSD no extra goodies. THe SNV425-S2BD is the Bundle kit with a drive, and a whack of extras (2.5 to 3.5 adapter rails, Acronis HD disk, Sata cable, and molex to SATA power adapter) . Kingston is the best in the industry when it comes to value added accessories. Same goes for the V+ as the BD is the BunDle kit.

EDIT:

It will be a little while longer before SandForce really hits the market. Once Corsair and a couple others hit the market with them they almost HAVE to lower the price of their Indilinx drives (or EOL them) as the SF will be the new flagship model. Waiting is a tough call....but it may just be worth it. Then again going from ANY HDD to ANY SSD is huge jump. So unless you want the "best of the best" find one that is right for your budget NOW and dont worry about what tomorrow brings. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; April 8, 2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old April 8, 2010, 07:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The New V gen 2 SNV425 is a good bang for your buck drive. May end up being this rounds "Agility" in that it has good performance at a killer price (though the V+ will most likely hold that title IMHO). The SNV425-S2 is the stand alone kit. JUST the SSD no extra goodies. THe SNV425-S2BD is the Bundle kit with a drive, and a whack of extras (2.5 to 3.5 adapter rails, Acronis HD disk, Sata cable, and molex to SATA power adapter) . Kingston is the best in the industry when it comes to value added accessories. Same goes for the V+ as the BD is the BunDle kit.
I was actually looking at those V gen 2's, but noticed that there is only about $40 difference in price. Considering that is it really worth the extra money for the V+ over the V?

Oh one more question I looked at NCIX and noticed that with the V+ 128 the bundle is way more than the stand alone drive.

SNVP325-S2/128GB = $331.71
SNVP325-S2B/128GB = $414.99

Do you know of anything included that would justify that? Or is it just a bad price on the bundle or for that matter a good price on the stand alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
EDIT:

It will be a little while longer before SandForce really hits the market. Once Corsair and a couple others hit the market with them they almost HAVE to lower the price of their Indilinx drives (or EOL them) as the SF will be the new flagship model. Waiting is a tough call....but it may just be worth it. Then again going from ANY HDD to ANY SSD is huge jump. So unless you want the "best of the best" find one that is right for your budget NOW and dont worry about what tomorrow brings. ;)
I would love to wait and will have to wait a couple weeks at least, but currently am dying a slow death with this craptastic old maxtor. Heck on HD Tune Pro I got an access time of 16.1ms, a burst of only 104.6MB/s and what is really bad is the average read of only 46.7MB/s

Sure I could move stuff around and clone this over to a faster drive (like the one 1TB WD black) but do I really want to do that work if I am going to get a SSD right away anyways?

Old April 8, 2010, 07:49 PM

Thats insane. The dif should be like 20bucks between the standalone and the full kit. The V is only an adaptor and Acronis HD. The V+ also has a 2.5 USB enclosure thrown in...but still not worth 80 bucks!

For 40 bucks Id go for the V+. The V is decent, but I dont think it will get as fine tuned as the V+ will. I MIGHT be wrong, but even if they both stagnate as they are now, the V+ is much better at small reads/writes.

Yeah I wouldnt wait either. You wont regret getting any modern SSD as they are all extremely fast compared to modern HDDs....and they will simply blow away your old drive away. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 8, 2010, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Plus I have used them at work (in other peoples machines, not mine) and I see the difference.

Heck just put a OCZ Vertex 60GB into an older P4 3.0GHz machine with just sata1 and it still made that thing a heck of a lot snappier. As it is we might (crosses fingers) get the ok to go get around 20 of the Intel V series 40GB to put in the machines in our labs and maybe into mine as well, I can only hope.

Thanks for all the help and advice, much appreciated.

Last edited by ipaine; April 8, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old April 10, 2010, 06:42 AM
Banned

The Vertex 120GB is on sale for a few days for $270 plus tax ($300 w/ rebate) if you consider the rebate. This is tempting. I really would like a Sandforce controller drive but I do want at least 2 at some point and maybe 3 total if I ever get a new laptop. There would be time to get the newer ones later if I can afford it!

AkG, is there any difference between the Vertex LE and the Crucial C300? At the same price, one might consider any differences, right? If either had a price drop, whichever one did would be my pick. If they both eventually have a price drop, then I'm asking that question again. :) I was just curious.

Right now, the Vertex 120GB looks appealing although I only have a few days to decide.

That one might be up your alley, ipaine? :)
Old May 14, 2010, 04:45 AM
Trial Member

Well I am thinking of getting one Kingston V 425 or the V+

Basically aside performance difference, you have to take in account that the V+ has:
double the power in watt while in idle (0.15W vs 0.07W)
half the power at full load (2.6W vs 5.7W)

I don't know how much the ssd would stay on idlebut I think that for laptops the V+ would be better as it wastes half the energy when in use (and because it's faster it is supposed to finish and go in idle faster than the V series).

But even if the V+ seems really a little better than the 425 V, I don't think I can afford the extra 40€ (in europe) for the V+
240€ for 128GB is already a LOT of money for me.

Oh and don't forget: you know that 128GB actually means 119Gib, so if you buy a 128GB one you have only 119Gib on it to use. But I guess you already know that, as all HDD come like this.
Now that I think about it an intel 80GB would have only 74.4Gib, definitely not enough for my laptop...
Old May 14, 2010, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
But even if the V+ seems really a little better than the 425 V, I don't think I can afford the extra 40€ (in europe) for the V+
You said it all. Wait a few more weeks to gather the extra cash. If you want the V+, wait until you can afford it, instead of buying the other one and regret it.

The V+ is a LOT better (Toshiba controller) than the V (jmicron 612). The regular V is a entry-level drive. The V+ is a enthusiast-level drive.

That being said, wait for the sales. I don't know anything about the situation in Europem if you have the possibility to pricematch and stuff, but you can expect also good sales on indilinx-based SSDs, because the sandforce drives anre coming-in fast.
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)

Last edited by Delavan; May 14, 2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old May 14, 2010, 04:18 PM

The V is a JM618 controller based drive and it is a good first time SSD....BUT the Toshiba controller in the V+ blows the doors off it. Id wait untill you can afford the V+ and get the V+. You will be much happier with it then the V.

Old May 14, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I currently have the V gen 2 and am going to be getting the V+ shortly (hopefully next week) Once I have the V+ I will redo some benches on both of them and post them so people can see the difference between the two.