Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2010, 02:50 PM
Banned

Vertex series > All others IMHO.

According to the reviews that I have read over the year.....Intel MLC is NOT faster than Vertex MLC.
Old March 10, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Any reason why?
support performance and warranty. you can also add the patriot torqx and torqxM from my opinion. they have indilinx/samsung controller's and a ten year warranty which you gotta say is good news for us. akg speaks the truth
Old March 10, 2010, 04:01 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Completely agree on the Torqx Gingerbee.

Actually technix, you can add it and the GSKILL Falcon (the original not Falcon 2) to my list. As the Vertex, Falcon and Torqx are basically all the same SSD with dif company logo on the front....and different companies backing them up. Hard to beat 10yr warranty Patriot offers!

I'm not a fond lover of Samsung controllers (and thus The Torqx M28 and OCZ Summit for example). I find that they were "almost" as good in many ways as Indilinx and yet still lacking overall. I'd still take one over a JM602, but the Sammy's are starting to show their age.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 12, 2010, 08:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I just scooped a Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB drive. Should be here mid next week. Time will tell if I should have waited for the Sandforce drives, but I really liked the SATA 6Gbps spec. My R2E doesnt have it but I change MoBos like shorts so I thought it would be great to have flexibility.

Such a new drive that I hope they fix the few issues with firmware refinement over time. Also seemed that you get a little more storage for your money with them. I got it at the egg for under $760 :)
Old March 12, 2010, 08:42 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
I just scooped a Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB drive. Should be here mid next week. Time will tell if I should have waited for the Sandforce drives, but I really liked the SATA 6Gbps spec. My R2E doesnt have it but I change MoBos like shorts so I thought it would be great to have flexibility.

Such a new drive that I hope they fix the few issues with firmware refinement over time. Also seemed that you get a little more storage for your money with them. I got it at the egg for under $760 :)
256GB!?! Man you mad baller yo!
Old March 12, 2010, 09:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
256GB!?! Man you mad baller yo!

Werd!

I have played the RAID game with SSDs and got tired of it, also get better write performance on the larger drives with the extra channel. I plan on keeping this drive for a very long time (knock on wood) and perhaps grab a second drive just to put the exclamation point on the transcoding of BD that you have me hooked on

I have a plan to go bonkers on one last build to quell my addiction. Time will tell if it pays off

Funny thing is I am moving into home theater as a hobby so we all know I am doomed
Old April 8, 2010, 01:14 PM
Banned

What about this one, guys?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820183271
How would you update firmware or would you even have to? Not much on the manufacturer's website but the price seems fair. It wouldn't be based on Intel controller would it ? How would one find out what controller it uses? I can't find the answer yet despite googling...
Old April 8, 2010, 01:31 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IIRC (and I may be wrong) that is a JM612 based SSD. Decent enough kit, has TRIM and an very aggressive ITGC already built into the firmware. IF I am right on it being a 612, its basically the same as a Corsair Reactor w/ dif mfg backing it up (for RMA and firmware support).

IF you are looking at the more value orientated, take a long hard look at the Kingston SSDNow V Gen 2 (SNV425's). They use a improved version of the 612 (called a 618 designed by JMircon but fabbed by Toshiba). Some other good ones are the G.Skill Falcon 2, OCZ Agility, Corsair Nova and Kingston SSDNow V+ gen 2 (SNVP325's). I personally am not a fan of Ridata as they are an unknown quantity when it comes to Customer Service. I know I used to use their blank DVD-Rs....but the quality was only middling at best (this was back when they were over 2 bucks a DVD....and were CHEAP compared to TY gear!).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 8, 2010, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Didn't think we needed to start a new thread since this is still SSD recommendations, so I just am adding to this one.

I am also looking at a SSD. Since I had a bunch of drives die on me I have ended up with a really crappy old sata 1 drive as my os drive.

So because of this my video card plans are on the back burner and I think I might have to grab a SSD.

That leaves with what to choose.

I know that I can not go any smaller than 120/128, but I have to keep the price down. I sure would love to get a 160 Intel but I just can't afford that.

What are people's recommendations for a 120/128GB drive? I am looking at something like the Kingston V+, OCZ Agility (would love the Vertex), and anything else that is in that similar price range.

Last edited by ipaine; April 8, 2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old April 8, 2010, 03:15 PM
Banned

ipaine, I don't know if this will help you but I was looking at 120/128GB SSDs for my Linux OS. If I get one for Windows, I'm content with the Intel X25-M G2 80GB. I won't need more space than that for Windows and files/storage will go on a 1TB (or more than 1TB) HDD.

But, I prefer at least 100GB for Linux for various reasons. Anyway, I typed up a brief list but it includes *current prices as of today, April 9. I thought this might help for anyone who recommends or wants a visual representation of what one's getting when looking at the SSD and the price. Also, I thought it might help for personal recommendations and how I'm looking at things.

AkG, thanks for yet another reply! I tend to agree. RiData is known more for CDs/DVDs and even if it's a JMicron controller, a newer one, it still probably is a risk and not that much of a deal when you consider those points.

Okay, here's my list:
SSDs 120GB or more:

=/+$350:
1) Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB - $429
2) OCZ Vertex LE 120GB - $429
3) OCZ Vertex Turbo 120GB - $425

<$350:
Kingston V+ Series 128GB - $319
Corsair R120 - $344
Corsair V128 - $350

<$300:
Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425 (S2BD?) - $280*
*S2BD or S2BN or S2?????? - what are these?!?

AkG, I guess I am waiting for prices to go down a bit...although, this wait seems ongoing! lol! Will prices ever reduce? I thought the introduction of the Sandforce controller would result in some price reductions but I guess there aren't too many new SSDs out yet with this controller?

Anyway, if I decide I can afford around $400, then I would try for that Crucial SSD. If not (and likely NOT), I'll keep waiting or spring for the Kingston SNV425 or V+ SNVP325-S2 128GB. The 'V+' version seems halfway decent if I want the price around $300 and if I want it no more than $300, the other Kingston. It's just that there is quite a significant jump in performance if I invest another $100. Right now, I think it's tough to justify that and really shouldn't anyway. :)

The Kingstons are probably good enough compared to typical legacy hard drives.

I'll have to think about it. Wait and hope for price drops or get a Kingston? :) The other wait would be to see if the Vertex 120GB goes back down to $300 with rebate but the current $400+ (and change) is a rip, to be honest, when one can have Sandforce controller SSDs for the same price.

Does that help at all, ipaine?!?