Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2010, 10:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I ordered the 80GB Intel earlier this afternoon(I must have just missed the shipping deadline..GRRR)
I was bouncing between that and the 120gb vertex that was on sale with the $40 rebate.
After checking out the final prices with tax and shipping I was at 283.49 for the 80gb intel and the OCz was $378 - $40 MIR(which I never count in the final price).
To me it wasn't worth the $100 initial price to go with the 120gb vertex, I briefly looked at some of the other 120/128gb drives and nothing really stood out, the falcon II eco 128gb(new indilinx)actually looks very good for the price and I may have tried that if I actually had more than $300 to spend.
Old February 24, 2010, 05:30 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Falcon 2's are mid tier kit (dont get me wrong they are GOOD mid tier, but they are not flagship levels of performance). The whole "eco" moniker is BS. Its a Barefoot controller, just a slightly new revision. You made a very smart decision as while the Vertex can compete in certain areas...the X25M g2 absolutely destroys the F2 (as it should).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 24, 2010, 10:59 AM
Banned

Is the Intel X25M G2 good to go out of the box? I read something about one of their firmware versions contributing to a FREEZE. What's that about? Is it fixed? Also, I went to the Intel downloads site for that SSD and I didn't notice any mention of TRIM. Is it included w/ the latest firmware or? Sorry, about my ignorance with this.... I'm only starting to become familiar. One more thing: um, I believe we want to use AHCI instead of IDE-emulation mode with these SSDs, right? So, just make sure it's enabled as the mode to use in my motherboard's BIOS? I do already so I shouldn't have to change it. I installed XP, tough, on my HDD and I used nLite to slipstream XP so it could use the AHCI drivers/mode. If I got a copy of Window 7 and bought a X25M G2 SSD, I wouldn't have to do any changes? Just install mobo/video/LAN drivers, the Intel firmware.... anything else?
Old February 24, 2010, 11:25 AM

Intel fixed the firmware issue so no worries.

Set AHCI in the bios and install Win7 it should automatically use the default MSAHCI driver. This is the one you want to use as it will pass the TRIM command.

Other than that you should be good to go. Its a beast of a drive and well worth the cost. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 24, 2010, 01:33 PM
Banned

Is $250 a good deal? I'm not ready/able to buy just yet but when I am, if it's no higher.... I think that is my budget for a SSD drive. It's pretty high for only 80GB but I think it's enough space for Windows 7 and essential programs?
Old February 24, 2010, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes, $250 is as good as it gets.
Not sure if the Intel Drives are shipping with FW 02HD, check it with Intel SSD toolbox ver 1.2. if it aint FW02HD, you'll have to Flash it to that FW. Here's the link to both the .iso FW 02HD Download and Intel SSD Toolbox ver 1.2.

FW 02HD
* Intel® SATA Solid-State Drive Firmware Update Tool

Intel SSD toolbox ver:1.2
*Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox

Enjoy your new SSD

Old February 24, 2010, 05:10 PM
Banned

So, Intel X25-M G2 80GB as best choice if you get it for $250?

2nd best choices one of these?: (all OCZ 60GB)
1) OCZ Vertex Turbo $205 (after rebate)
2) OCZ Agility $190 (after rebate0
3) GSkilll Falcon II 64GB $200

I was just wondering which one out of those is best or fastest in case I got a 2nd one for my Linux OS.

I think I'd go for the Intel if I got only one and if it's for my Windows OS.

Just wondering if there's any more comments for the ones I have listed.

Or is the Intel that much better to spend the extra $50 when getting a SSD? :)
Old February 24, 2010, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^ No idea on those...AkG is our resident SSD "expert".....think he already commented on the Falcon II ...

I already answered your Price question on the Intel 80Gb ....didn't I..?

Old February 24, 2010, 06:11 PM

Of those three as a second choice? The Vertex Turbo by a country mile. Its full speed Indi' with factory overclocked ram chip. The other two are mid tier kit. BUT the Agility goes on sale for 150-160 after MIR every once in awhile. Get the Intel now....and see what pops up over the next couple months for the a Linux one. ;)

Old February 24, 2010, 06:15 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
I was just wondering which one out of those is best or fastest in case I got a 2nd one for my Linux OS.

you have to clean the SSD with a tool or the trim fuction of Windows, or they will loose speed with usage

I don't know if they make an utility for Linux, if not you better to use regular HD with Linux .