Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2010, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default 120GB Vertex On Asus G51J Notebook - Please See Results In Thread

Hi all,
Installed my new Vertex in my Asus G51J Notebook yesterday.
- Replaced one of the 320 GB HD for the Vertex Drive
- Installed W7 From Asus Recovery Disc onto Vertex in 2 Partitions
- Vertex came with FW 1.5
- No way of checkig / changing for AHCI ode in BIOS
- W7 Registry indicates AHCI Mode as "0" entered in msahci

The results I thought would be considerably faster, particularly with HD Tune. My Intel G280GB in HD Tune shows Max: 221 MB/Sec / Min: 157.8 MB/Sec, as you can see the Vertex is a lot slower.
Also, should I not begettin faster speeds with the 4K Read?

Now, I did partition the 120 Vertex Drive. All of the results are the "C Drive" Partition. The Partitioning was done "automatically" with the Asus W7 Recovery Disc.

Please have a look at the pics below and let me know if thier is something I'm missing. I did apply the W7 SSD Tweaks.

Thanks in advance ;)

Old February 21, 2010, 06:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I believe you need to run the Windows 7 installer normally, not using some ghost-type program.

You're partitions probably aren't properly aligned, so that's why the performance is on the low-side. Apparently Windows 7 install does this automatically, assuming you don't have any partitions on the drive, don't do any formatting, just select the drive and hit next.
Old February 21, 2010, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I believe you need to run the Windows 7 installer normally, not using some ghost-type program.
The version of W7 I have is my Asus W7 Recovery Disc...the only options I have installing from that disc is:
1. Recover to entire HDD in 2 Partitions
2. Recover to 1st Partition
3. Recover to entire HDD - no partiitons

I chose the 1st option, their are no other options using the Asus W7 Disc that shipped with the Notebook.

So:
Do I need to purchase another OEM W7 to do this right or
is thier a way to check / correct the Partition alignment?

Thanks

Old February 21, 2010, 07:46 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Will the OEM key you have work for any OEM disk?
Fold for team #54196
Old February 21, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Chris

You mean the Key that I have on the back of my Notebook for the W7 version that came with it? So, you're thinking install from one of my other OEM versions and "activate" with the Asus Key....

Old February 21, 2010, 07:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you can align it using diskpart How to set up Windows on a VERTEX - OCZ Forum Wiki just follow the diskpart aligin it's a little down the page after you do it just ghost over or how every you copied it the first time
Old February 21, 2010, 08:03 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Chris

You mean the Key that I have on the back of my Notebook for the W7 version that came with it? So, you're thinking install from one of my other OEM versions and "activate" with the Asus Key....
Thats what I am wondering. I have not done it this way though so hopefully someone who has tried will chime in. You need to use the proper 32/64 bit disk though I think, and Enterprise versions might not work. If you have a 64-bit OEM disk, and the Asus came with 64-bit OEM, I think it should work.

If nothing important has been installed yet, maybe you could try anyways.

As Ginger noted, you should run Diskpart using the instructions he listed.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 21, 2010, 08:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Okay guys,,sorry I'm not getting it...
1. Thought aligning Partitions was only necessary with XP and not 7?
2. Somehow the Asus W7 Recovery disc installs without properly aligning Partitions as a regular W7 OEM Disc would do?

If I do decide to get another copy of W7 (bypass the Asus Recovery W7 Disc altogether), can I simply install the disc and follow the prompts for installing onto the Vertex, as I did with my Intel G2 when I installed W7 on it? If I want to Partition the Disc to two, seems the last 2 W7 installs I did I missed that option altogether....

Old February 21, 2010, 08:15 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I am wondering if the Asus recovery disk would have aligned the drive properly, thus running diskpart would fix that error. You use the Win7 OEM disk to delete, and create and align the partition for you.

TBH I hope that AKG or other folks in the know will chime in as I am not sure if its necessary. From what I read, last xmas holidays when I updated to the new firmware with Trim on it, Diskpart was recommended first to ensure the drive was setup properly, even on Win7.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 21, 2010, 08:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Yeah I'm not sure, I figured the Asus W7 Recovery Disc was basically a W7 HP x64 installer. The whole install process went fine, I was prompted by the W7 Recovery Installer to insert my Asus Driver Disc and loaded only "required" Drivers with no Asus Bloatware.
From what I've read re: Aligning Patitions its not necessary with W7 / Vista, so figured that was alos the case with W7 Asus Recovery Disc....maybe not?

Not a huge deal as I would simply purchase another W7 HP 64 Bit, but seems silly given I have a "bastardized" copy that came with this Notebook (yes 64 Bit), also have two other copies on my bookshelf...

Quote:
I am wondering if the Asus recovery disk would have aligned the drive properly, thus running diskpart would fix that error. You use the Win7 OEM disk to delete, and create and align the partition for you.
I wonder, if I tried:
1. Take the Vertex out of my Notebook, hook it up to my Dektop
2. Run Diskpart on the Vertex on my Desktop (so long as it doesn't mess with my Intel G2 Boot Drive)
3. Then install it back into the Notebook
4. Install W7 from the Recovery Disc
5. See if I get better performance ?

Just wonder if its the Asus Recovery Disc setting up the Partitions (Install to two Partitions) that mis-aligns it?